About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
fancy a quilt-a-long?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eldest daughter started a quilt over Easter and then had to stop for her exams.. now they are out of the way she is on a roll to finish her quilt.

Two progress photos below:

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful. Looks so cosy. And very tidy squares too!

Sally Too

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She says you haven't seen a close up of the squares!

I love it though... it has a really genuine unique personal feel to it... even the little misaligned bits!

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally too wrote:
even the little misaligned bits!

Other people never notice those - they just see the overall picture.
We are all our own worst critic!

Luath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Nice work. Am sorting out fabric today fready for the first few blocks I hope.

pookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so lovely!

faerienono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Well done that young lady!

I have been working on the squares I started at the fibre frenzy, need to do the outside cream bits now. I don't know whether to buy a cream cotton fabric or use some calico that I have, but I would need to wash and iron the calico first wouldn't I? (Groan....)

I must finish this one before I start the next one (s) or there will be far too many unfinished projects to dish out at my funeral (giggles x)

gythagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that quilt is super, lovely fabrics! My quilting ruler has arrived - so as soon as we get a rainy day (ha!) I have a cushion, in fact 2 cushions, and a teacosy to do/finish...

And re equipment, I now have a 6"x24" ruler; what would you seasoned quilters recommend would be the most useful to get next - a square? 5"? 6"? bigger? or another rectangular ruler, or something else?

Luath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faerienono wrote:
Beautiful! Well done that young lady!

I have been working on the squares I started at the fibre frenzy, need to do the outside cream bits now. I don't know whether to buy a cream cotton fabric or use some calico that I have, but I would need to wash and iron the calico first wouldn't I? (Groan....)

I must finish this one before I start the next one (s) or there will be far too many unfinished projects to dish out at my funeral (giggles x)

Just an observation based on experience here; yes you would need to wash it, or it will shrink after and distort the quilt. It's also a complete and utter b***** to iron - I have calico curtains in my sitting room, nightmare to get them straight when I wash them. So, if you did use calico in the quilt and washed it, you wouldn't be able to iron it at all and the calico will stay badly creased in among the rest of the cotton which tends to be ok without ironing in a quilt.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that young lady! A super quilt, and one to be proud of!

gythagirl wrote:
My quilting ruler has arrived - so as soon as we get a rainy day (ha!) ...

Oooh, are you guaranteeing no rain for the foreseeable future, Sue?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faerienono wrote:

Hands up who couldn't say that. We will all have unfinished projects at our funerals and that's grrreat! We just use a different measure to you at the moment.

I might have to finish painting the kitchen before I finish a quilt. How dull.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 12 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gythagirl wrote:
Oh that quilt is super, lovely fabrics! My quilting ruler has arrived - so as soon as we get a rainy day (ha!) I have a cushion, in fact 2 cushions, and a teacosy to do/finish...

And re equipment, I now have a 6"x24" ruler; what would you seasoned quilters recommend would be the most useful to get next - a square? 5"? 6"? bigger? or another rectangular ruler, or something else?

If you have a quilters ruler you dont need to get a square you use the markers on the ruler to cut squares and if it has your angle lines you use them to cut triangles, I would wait to see what blocks you want to do, then get the template to suit, creative grids do some lovely rulers for cutting diffrent blocks and dvds to show you how to use them.

If you are able to In August the big international quilt festival is on at the NEC Birmingham, a great venue for supplies and the chance to try them.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 12 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I have a quilting/walking foot for my machine.
I have loads of other feet Ill never use (tucking foot etc).
Cant I just use the foot that is on it?

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 12 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the foot thats on it....

gythagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 12 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered at the Fibre Frenzy that I didn't have a walking foot; and I checked the instruction booklet when I got home to confirm. It says to use the darning foot when the feed dog is down, but I can't make that work for freestlyle sewing at all, so it will be straight line quilting for me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive