Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Marmalade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 9:07 pm    Post subject: Marmalade Reply with quote

Could somebody point me in the direction of a good recipe for this please?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article by our very own Gil on the subject.

countryman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, thats my Thursday evening accounted for then!

countryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 07 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a quality article written by Gil.
unfortunately ive become a little side tracked by the Cointreu recipe and have made several bottles worth of that first.
NOTE TO SELF-MARMALADE TOMMOROW

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 07 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
I'd suggest that you start tasting it a bit earlier than the recipe suggests, mine came out a bit too bitter for my taste last year.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 07 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the marmalade, Countryman ?

countryman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 07 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been very busy!
I found the Sevilles at 75p/Kilo, so bought a box, about 12 Kilos!
Have made cointreau, lots of marmalade, at varying degrees of shrediness and am now considering Candlemanns wine.
Another couple of evenings and ill be there!
Ill take a photo of all the Seville based coservables when im done.
Great recipes by the way, thanks.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 07 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we assume you like Seville oranges ?

countryman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 07 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pretty safe bet.

Vic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Nigella's amazing seville orange icecream...

zest 2 seville oranges, and juice three of them. Add 175 gr of icing sugar. combine with a large pot of double cream (568ml I think), mix together and then whip to soft peak stage - takes about 5 minutes with an electric handwhisk. Stick in the freezer for a few hours... and that's it. No faffing around with icecream machines, or making custard, just amazingly nice (and rich) icecream.

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 07 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
An article by our very own Gil on the subject.

Just like to say thanks, Gil.
Finished my first batch last night.
Really rather excellent!

In future, I'll just put the orange flesh straight into the pip bag. There's little point in wasting time trying to separate flesh and pips.
I extended the peel-boiling stage (some covered some time uncovered), on a *very* gentle heat for yonks (5 hours?) because I didn't think the peel had softened as much as I thought it should. That was Friday evening.
It just got covered and turned off and ignored until Saturday after dark when I sliced off the pith, chopped it roughly and returned it to the pot. I tried to finely shred the peel.
It was boiled up with 65% jam sugar, 35% granulated and gave a set quite quickly.
I was surprised at the way the pith seemed to 'melt' into the liquid. Just disappeared!
I tasted it after the sugar was added, thought about adding a little more, but didn't.
I'd suggest leaving the skimming until you take it off the heat. Not much scum, but quite hard to catch without removing lots of peel and 'jam'.
I used 700g Sevilles, 1kg jam sugar + 400g granulated + 2 dessert spoons blackstrap molasses. Initial water was 1.5 litres, but a bit more ended up in there - I did things like rinsing the (still tied) pip jellybag in hot water and adding the wash water.
I have 5x "1lb" jars of excellent tangy sweet/sour golden brown marmalade.
Thanks again for the suggestion that this is well worth doing!
It is.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 07 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
Just like to say thanks, Gil.
Finished my first batch last night.
Really rather excellent!

cheers, dougal
dougal wrote:
In future, I'll just put the orange flesh straight into the pip bag. There's little point in wasting time trying to separate flesh and pips.

absolutely
dougal wrote:
I extended the peel-boiling stage (some covered some time uncovered), on a *very* gentle heat for yonks (5 hours?) because I didn't think the peel had softened as much as I thought it should. That was Friday evening. It just got covered and turned off and ignored until Saturday after dark when I sliced off the pith, chopped it roughly and returned it to the pot. I tried to finely shred the peel.

Yeh, when I make marmalade, it's usually over a weekend, as you did. You could up the simmering temp and shorten the time a bit, otherwise you may lose too much liquid.
dougal wrote:
t was boiled up with 65% jam sugar, 35% granulated and gave a set quite quickly.

I've never had a problem setting it so even if you've no jam sugar, it should set OK
dougal wrote:
I was surprised at the way the pith seemed to 'melt' into the liquid. Just disappeared!

Yes, it does, doesn't it !
dougal wrote:
I'd suggest leaving the skimming until you take it off the heat. Not much scum, but quite hard to catch without removing lots of peel and 'jam'. I used 700g Sevilles, 1kg jam sugar + 400g granulated + 2 dessert spoons blackstrap molasses. Initial water was 1.5 litres, but a bit more ended up in there - I did things like rinsing the (still tied) pip jellybag in hot water and adding the wash water.

both are good ideas
dougal wrote:
I have 5x "1lb" jars of excellent tangy sweet/sour golden brown marmalade.
Thanks again for the suggestion that this is well worth doing!
It is.

And for those who haven't yet tried this - a nearby Tesco still had Seville oranges last Wednesday (14th Feb)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive