links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Biodiesel - Yahoo!!!!
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 8:57 pm    Post subject: Biodiesel - Yahoo!!!! Reply with quote

Ok this may be old news to some but I just stumbled across this brief from HM Revenue & Customs.

If I am reading this correctly, then this means that those of us that make our own or just use straight veggie oil no longer need to pay customs duty of 27.1p per litre!!!

I'm jumping over the moon right now!

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I thought you were just adding veg oil to your diesel?

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Biodiesel - Yahoo!!!! Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
Ok this may be old news to some but I just stumbled across this brief from HM Revenue & Customs.

If I am reading this correctly, then this means that those of us that make our own or just use straight veggie oil no longer need to pay customs duty of 27.1p per litre!!!

I'm jumping over the moon right now!

Its EXTREMELY wonderful news for biodiesel homebrewers.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

***BUT*** it isn't in place ***yet***.

Customs wrote:
We will advise you of the date of implementation of these changes in a later Brief. We estimate that they will come into effect during the summer. We remind biofuel producers that the current rules as set out in Public Notice 179E: ‘Biofuels and other fuel substitutes’ will continue to apply until the new regulations take effect.

**AND** I'm afraid that I really don't know what the position may be for veg oil used as fuel.
AFAIK veg oil doesn't qualify for the lower "biofuel" rate, because Customs claimed that it wasn't "processed" to make a "diesel quality" fuel. And if you aren't "processing" it to what Customs define as a "diesel quality biofuel" then it doesn't look as though there's any change here.

PS it looks like you still must keep records (recipes and process log to demonstrate your "processing") for six years - in case they should wish to check.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm it gets confusing.

My understanding is that SVO is taxed as biodiesel. Also if it is being mixed with fossil fuel then it also changes.

From the HM Customs website:
Quote:
"The important question is whether the finished fuel meets the legal definition. If a vegetable oil used as road fuel meets the fiscal definition HMRC will be happy to accept that it is entitled to the duty rate for biodiesel."

And the Fiscal Defintion as from HM Customs:
Quote:
1. The current fiscal definition of biodiesel is set out in section 2AA of the Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979, as follows:

(1) In this Act “biodiesel” means diesel quality liquid fuel that -

(a) is produced from biomass or waste cooking oil,

(b) the ester content of which is not less than 96.5% by weight, and

(c) the sulphur content of which does not exceed 0.005% by weight or is nil.

(2) In subsection (1) -

(a) "diesel quality" means capable of being used for the same purposes as heavy oil;

(b) "liquid" does not include any substance that is gaseous at a temperature of 15 degrees C and under a pressure of 1013.25 millibars;

(c) "biomass" means vegetable and animal substances constituting the biodegradable fraction of -

(i) products, wastes and residues from agriculture, forestry and related activities, or

(ii) industrial and municipal waste.

It is suppose to come into effect this summer.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell - there are different aspects. Don't confuse them!

1/ Veg Oil is NOT regarded by HMR&E ("Customs") right now as being "diesel quality" biofuel. So right now it is taxed at the higher, non-biofuel, rate.
That is the current position - but there may yet be legal action to try and change this Customs interpretation.
https://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff/
I have no brief to justify that interpretation.
But that's what they think - and charge - at the moment.

2/ The change that you pointed out, is expected to happen sometime this summer.
Until then, no change whatsoever.

3/ The change only refers to what Customs call "biofuels". (Not what you or I might think a biofuel, but only to what Customs recognise as a "biofuel" - and they bring in this "diesel quality" stuff.)
As per item 1, it would seem that this change does not apply to Veg Oil.

Since this seems to be of personal importance to yourself, perhaps you should clarify the position with HMR&E, and then report back?

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed them but don't yet have a reply.

From definition 2 of what I posted above it seems that vegetable oil should be classed as a biofuel and in my past experience has. However the link you have sent shows obvious discrepancies where some producers are being charged at the higher non-biofuel rate.

Well it just shows that this government is only paying lip service to the environment or else they would be encouraging the use of alternative and sustainable fuels such as vegetable oil - which is arguably better than hybrids and electrics....

Well if all else fails then I guess I will start having to make biofuel - from what I understand its not hard.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 07 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
... it seems that vegetable oil should be classed as a biofuel and in my past experience has. ...

I don't know whether its because of concerns about particulate emissions from veg oil, protecting people's engines by removing an incentive to use a fuel that doesn't comply with the specs that they were designed to use, or whether it has to do with supermarket shelf demand for 10 litre packs...

... the thing is that almost two years ago, Customs introduced this particular interpretation that veg oil is not "processed to be a diesel quality biofuel".
One has to live with the world as it is, rather than how it should be, even while trying to improve things.

https://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_world/Review%3A_How_To_Make_Biodiesel_by_Low_Impact_Living/

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This now starts on 30th june 07. SVO is classed as bio diesel after two people had oil tested & a big veg oil company tested / claimed that ALL uk oil meets the spec straight from the bottle.

justme

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
This now starts on 30th june 07.
The exemption for small biodiesel producers will indeed start on 30th June 2007

Justme wrote:
SVO is classed as bio diesel after two people had oil tested & a big veg oil company tested / claimed that ALL uk oil meets the spec straight from the bottle.
Would you be so good as to include a link to a document (from a source acceptable to an HMR&C officer) that might confirm this statement?

My concern is that, while forum readers might take your word as gospel, unfortunately, I wouldn't expect the same from HMR&C.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me about 4 hours to re read EVERY web page I have been to today.

Justme

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the gov web site.

2.1 What do you mean by Biodiesel, Bioblend, Bioethanol and Bioethanol blend?
The law describes 'Biodiesel' as a diesel quality liquid fuel that is produced from biomass or waste cooking oil:

the ester content of which is not less than 96.5% by weight; and
the sulphur content of which does not exceed 0.005% by weight, or is nil.
(all uk oil meets this spec)

'Bioblend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

Biodiesel; and
heavy oil that has not been charged with the excise duty on hydrocarbon oil.
'Bioethanol' means a liquid fuel:

consisting of ethanol produced from biomass; and
capable of being used for the same purposes as light oil.
'Bioethanol blend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

bioethanol; and
hydrocarbon oil not charged with excise duty.

LINK

LINK FAIRY

You can also find on the gov site info on the duty rates paid currently for SVO. It was when first sorted rated higher than bio fuel but after sucsessfull attempts by a few people reduced to the same as BIO fuel.

Also EU law helps as other EU countries count SVO as BIO.

Justme

PS the gov did try to only allow rape seed oil to be counted as bio & not sunflower oil BUT thats against EU rules for fair trade.

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
This is from the gov web site.

2.1 What do you mean by Biodiesel, Bioblend, Bioethanol and Bioethanol blend?
The law describes 'Biodiesel' as a diesel quality liquid fuel that is produced from biomass or waste cooking oil:

the ester content of which is not less than 96.5% by weight; and
the sulphur content of which does not exceed 0.005% by weight, or is nil.
(all uk oil meets this spec) << Inserted by Justme, **not** in the original !

'Bioblend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

Biodiesel; and
heavy oil that has not been charged with the excise duty on hydrocarbon oil.
'Bioethanol' means a liquid fuel:

consisting of ethanol produced from biomass; and
capable of being used for the same purposes as light oil.
'Bioethanol blend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

bioethanol; and
hydrocarbon oil not charged with excise duty.

LINK

Link fairy, again!

Yes, nothing new there whatsoever, (apart from your assertion), that is the October 2005 Notice 179E.
It is those specific references to "diesel quality" and "is produced from", right at the beginning that have caused the problems for veg oil.
The sulphur and ester specs are NOT the problem - see below.

Take a look at Para 3.5 -- it makes clear that what they call 'biofuels" can be "produced from" SVO and/or WVO.

It is important to understand that the October 2005 Notice 179E does NOT state that SVO or WVO without processing are eligible for the reduced rate of biofuel road fuel duty.
It actually means that they are NOT eligible!

In late 2005 this letter was sent out by Customs
the highlighting is by myself
Customs wrote:
Dear Sir

Visit *********: Production of Biofuels and Payment of Excise Duty at the Reduced Rate.

I have contacted the Mineral Oils Relief Centre in Newcastle and discussed your case. The registration issued to you is for Biodiesel not Fuel Substitutes and therefore they will have to amend your registration.

I am writing to clarify to you an aspect of HM Revenue and Customs'
policy on the acceptability of Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) being used as a road fuel, and users paying Excise Duty at the reduced rate.

SVO does not meet the fiscal specification for biodiesel, because it is not accepted that it is a "diesel quality" fuel in the meaning given in the Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979s (2)(a).

HMRC consider that the product, vegetable oil, would require further treatment before it met the "diesel quality" criterion.
Following legal advice we have concluded that vegetable oil (whether used or
unused) must be
processed by some method, which converts the vegetable oil into a fuel suitable for use in a diesel engine – the only method we are currently aware of is the transesterification process.

HMRC consider that the intention of the law is to give the reduced rate to fuel produced from vegetable oil (whether virgin or recovered) and not to vegetable oil itself.

Given that you are not processing, and do not intend to process, the vegetable oils that you will be using in your vehicle in furtherance of your business. I must inform you that the fuel that you intend to process is a Fuel Substitute. Fuel Substitutes are dutiable (taxable) at the same rate as the fuel that they replace, in this case Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

The duty rate currently in force is £0.471, pence per litre, Tax type 545....
As published and discussed https://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=291

Although this would seem to be the official interpretation, some local offices may still be unaware of it!
A new version of Notice 179E has been promised.
It is to be hoped that it will clarify this matter explicitly, one way or the other, for everyone's benefit.

Justme wrote:
You can also find on the gov site info on the duty rates paid currently for SVO. It was when first sorted rated higher than bio fuel but after sucsessfull attempts by a few people reduced to the same as BIO fuel.
No, I can't find anything like that -- I understood your post to imply that *you* had found such a thing.

Factually, the "biofuel rate" was initially applied to veg oil, and the interpretation was later revised (during 2005), with the full road fuel duty being demanded by Customs.
I am not aware of any change since then.
If you have evidence of the change you claim, please show it -- lots of folk would love to see it.

Justme wrote:
Also EU law helps as other EU countries count SVO as BIO.

Justme

PS the gov did try to only allow rape seed oil to be counted as bio & not sunflower oil BUT thats against EU rules for fair trade.
EU legislation actually provides considerable scope for national governments to impose taxes as they wish.
Hence the precise specification of the fuels qualifying for 27p (rather than 47p) duty per litre is a UK, rather than an EU, matter.
There are obligations to EU energy policy on biofuel use, but not on the specifications for particular tax treatment.

I wonder which specific "EU law" provisions you believe to have been accepted by HMR&C as requiring them to apply the reduced tax rate to SVO and/or WVO?
Whatever any individual, on the basis of their own scholarship, believes that EU Law should provide, unless there is something absolutely specific to be cited (and which you believe the taxman would recognise and accept), its not useful.
Realistically, we aren't going to fight a case to the House of Lords and then to the ECJ in Luxembourg.
What matters to us is what the taxman is actually applying, in practice, rather than what we think he should be applying.

I can't find anything on HMR&C's stuff that says there has been any reversal of their policy of refusing to acknowledge veg oil as qualifying for the lower tax rate.

And you'll note that they *are* keen as mustard that even the merest splash of white spirit or paraffin takes the whole batch outside the realm of "biofuel" and therefore not only the small producer exemption but actually making the whole batch liable for duty at the higher rate...

Reminder: even if claiming the small producer exemption, you still have to retain *full* records of your 'production' and 'processing' for at least six years...

I'm prepared to admit that I'd be frankly astonished if HMR&C have accepted
1/ that any or all UK veg oil, fresh or used, thereby (without even as much as an analysis of that particular batch) qualifies as a biofuel for the purposes of EITHER reduced road fuel duty OR the small producer exemption
2/ that either buying fresh veg oil from the supermarket, or just filtering used "WVO", counts as "production" for the purposes of the small producer exemption
https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm
- - and that HMR&C have adopted these *changed* interpretations (numbered above) without themselves making explicit public announcements.

But I am prepared to be astonished!

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will carry on re reading what I read earlier. Lots of it was quoted from letters from HMCS in direct responce to direct question / enquires.

justme

PS will have to be tommorow now as its all in the history on a diff PC.

Lots of forums are talking about it.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
[- - and that HMR&C have adopted these *changed* interpretations (numbered above) without themselves making explicit public announcements.

You expect them to issue a statment on how to pay less duty?

Justme

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 07 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out all these links its in there some where.

https://www.dieselveg.com/

Shorter link

Again!

Quote from above link. With MY Highlights

Conclusions

The Government is keen to support second generation biofuels and keep abreast of technological developments, and will keep the fiscal definition of biodiesel under continual review to ensure that it is sufficiently flexible and responsive to cater for new fuels.
As a first step, the Government will be considering what changes to the definition are needed to accommodate the new second generation biodiesel for which production plans are in hand.
The current fiscal definition remains otherwise satisfactory in defining what is and what is not biodiesel.
There is no definitive evidence to justify excluding SVO from the scope of the fiscal definition.

Guidance on interpretation of the definition will be revised further to include more information on testing the product against the fiscal definition. (so they will tell staf that SVO IS BIO)Steps (such as training and internal publicity) have been taken to ensure that the regulations will be more consistently applied by HMRC staff in line with the revised guidance.
HM Revenue & Customs
December 2006

GRAAARHHHH Link Fairy!

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief3707.htm

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/si/2007-1640-em.pdf

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

Justme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive