Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
nil by bin
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 5:31 pm    Post subject: nil by bin Reply with quote

there's an article in the latest Centre for Alternative Technology magazine by a bloke who set himself the challenge of putting nothing in the (landfill) bin for a month. Made his own bread, toothpowder etc, bought un (plastic)wrapped fruit and veg etc.

interesting challenge and way of raising awareness.

it's on here

www.nilrubbish.blogspot.com

mimborin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: nil by bin Reply with quote

alisjs wrote:
there's an article in the latest Centre for Alternative Technology magazine by a bloke who set himself the challenge of putting nothing in the (landfill) bin for a month. Made his own bread, toothpowder etc, bought un (plastic)wrapped fruit and veg etc.

interesting challenge and way of raising awareness.

it's on here

www.nilrubbish.blogspot.com

Very interesting. I will try the "tooth powder".

3 parts baking soda
1 part salt
Few drops lemon essential oil
Few drops vanilla extract

As for the other stuff it is a good challenge to make yourself aware.

marigold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one alisjs. I don't put much landfill out for the refuse collection, but I suppose I could try harder to reduce the amount of plastic that passes through my hands...

I've been meaning to try making baking soda toothpaste for ages, so another prompt is useful. Those dehydrators on dryit.com look good .

alisjs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might write to the local paper.....it's always full of letters from people whinging about fornightly blackbin collection (alternating with kerbside recycling) and how disgraceful the council are for this poor service..........do them good to realize where the rubbish is coming from.....wasters!!!!!!

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not had my copy of Clean Slate. Better investimagate...
A.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great blog - enjoyed that.

Whilst I've reduced our rubbish, I am slightly guilty of out of sight out mind. I've been putting plastic rubbish in the recycling dumpster at the farm shop. It only says soft plastics on the outside and as there are no other guidelines its entirely possible that I'm putting stuff in there that will end up in landfil.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting - really made me think.

One thing that I haven't found a way of avoiding are the plastic bags at the greengrocer's. There is no local market and the local shops are self-service. I don't use a bag for many things, but anything like mushrooms, carrots, potatoes etc. ends up in a bag so the someone can weight it. Has anyone found a way of avoiding the curse of the flimsy plastic bag?

I remember shopping as a kid at market stalls where my mum would say how much of something she wanted, them the quantity would be weighed and put straight in her shopping bags.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Put all the stuff into a basket in the shop. Chuck it all into one bag when it's been weighed. Sort it out when you get home.

dougal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
... One thing that I haven't found a way of avoiding are the plastic bags at the greengrocer's. There is no local market and the local shops are self-service. I don't use a bag for many things, but anything like mushrooms, carrots, potatoes etc. ends up in a bag so the someone can weight it. Has anyone found a way of avoiding the curse of the flimsy plastic bag?

A traditional solution would be paper bags. (Normally offered for mushrooms... )

lottie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 07 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:

One thing that I haven't found a way of avoiding are the plastic bags at the greengrocer's. There is no local market and the local shops are self-service. I don't use a bag for many things, but anything like mushrooms, carrots, potatoes etc. ends up in a bag so the someone can weight it. Has anyone found a way of avoiding the curse of the flimsy plastic bag?

I remember shopping as a kid at market stalls where my mum would say how much of something she wanted, them the quantity would be weighed and put straight in her shopping bags.

And anything soft like strawberries that couldn't be tipped in your bag went in a brown paper bag---which by the time you got home were leaking ---so immediatly tipped out into a bowl---the ones that were dry were folded up into the drawer to be reused

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:

could you ask them to stock paper bags instead? Or write to them suggesting it?

I save the odd plastic bag like that for wrapping up say a meat or fish wrapper before it goes in the bin to avoid smells as our kitchen bin doesn't need emptying that often now.

mimborin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
Has anyone found a way of avoiding the curse of the flimsy plastic bag?

Maybe reusing them?

On a related matter i really find it quite annoying when people use the plastic bags for things like bananas or lemons. Nothing against the people, but why do they do it? Are we so brainwashed into believing everything must be packeged by plastic?

I really think we should tax for usage of new plastic bags.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
Has anyone found a way of avoiding the curse of the flimsy plastic bag?

Have you a box scheme nearby? It really made a difference when we went over to one, as almost all their packaging was recyclable, and they don't package stuff that doesn't really need it. I was disappointed when things turned up in plastic bags, when I asked why they didn't use more paper, I was kindly told that they aren't plastic, but something biodegradable, and can be composted at home along the green waste (it does say that on the bags - oops!) Bacon, ham and cheese still came vacum packed in plastic, and are binned, but everything else is recylable - even the big plastic bag everything comes goes back to be reused.

I do find you get more greenwaste with a box scheme, because things come less 'prepared' that the supermarket, but that's hardly a problem if you can compost it.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alisjs wrote:
I might write to the local paper.....it's always full of letters from people whinging about fornightly blackbin collection (alternating with kerbside recycling) and how disgraceful the council are for this poor service..........do them good to realize where the rubbish is coming from.....wasters!!!!!!

Of course I am all in favour of reducing as much as possible the amount we put in the bin. Mine, for a family of 4 adults and 2 young children rarely exceeds 2 carrier bags full per week - but I still feel that we do need weekly bin collections. Most of the stuff that goes in my bin is what cannot be composted or eaten by the ever obliging dog ie bones and fish left-overs plus other such nasties that even after a week in the bin really do pong. We do try and eat bony fish the day before bin collection day but I wouldn't want to restrict my fish intake just to stop a stinky bin - and I have nowhere for an-all composting green cone thingy. As ever there is no easy solution but perhaps if people could reduce what they bin, the bin lorries could be smaller and so more energy efficient - and if all councils had to collect bones etc (as I believe happens in Bexley) these could be composted "professionally" thus saving all that smelly stuff ending up rotting away in landfill.

lottie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have bins here just bags, which can be put out only on collection day. Most of what isn't composted goes into the recycling bag the council provides[ for glass,cans,paper,cardboardand plastic] but I don't want the very small amount that comes under neither category hanging round in a bag for a fortnight. Before we moved we had bins and I had no strong feelings either way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive