Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Rhubarb recipes.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
Rhubarb and pineapple jam would be very difficult to set; both fruits very very low in pectin - respect to your mum, Hairyloon.

Use jam sugar perhaps?

Dani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats rhubarb and pineapple jam like?
does it go well on toast? or should I try wine instead. I want to give the chutney a go, but I have another crop of rhubarb coming in a few weeks. would like to give something else a go.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhubarb and orange jam would be easier to set.
Add the juice of a lemon to a jam recipe involving rhubarb.

I think jam sugar tastes funny, and it costs far more than ordinary granulated.

The other / extra way to get rhubarb jam to set is to add a teacupful of redcurrant juice and an extra teacupful of sugar to the mix.

There is a recipe for rhubarb jam in my article on Preserves in the Articles section of Downsizer

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumble or raw dipped in huney

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani wrote:
[color=indigo]whats rhubarb and pineapple jam like?
does it go well on toast? or should I try wine instead.

The jam is very nice on toast. Don't think wine works well at all, the toast just gets soggy.
Having said that, I have known some of mum's jam to ferment. Then you've got the best of both.

Don't think she used jam sugar BTW. I'll give her a bell over the weekend and let you know.

Dani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 09 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I would really be interested. It sounds like a really unusual combination.

so, do you mean to tell me you dont normally have wine on you toast in the morning then

Dani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 09 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a rhubarb and date chutney recipe. Is it the same one?

Ingredients
50g fresh root ginger , grated
300ml red wine vinegar
500g eating apples , peeled and finely chopped
200g pitted dates , chopped
200g dried cranberries or raisins
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp curry powder
400g light muscovado sugar
700g rhubarb , sliced into 2cm chunks
500g red onions

Put the onions in a large pan with the ginger and vinegar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the rhubarb, plus 2 tsp salt to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 mins until the apples are tender.
Stir in the rhubarb and cook, uncovered, until the chutney is thick and jammy, about 15-20 mins. Leave the chutney to sit for about 10-15 mins, then spoon into warm, clean jars, and seal. Label the jars when cool. Keep for at least a month before eating.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 09 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to make rhubarb ripple icecream today

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 09 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani wrote:
so, do you mean to tell me you dont normally have wine on you toast in the morning then

No, I can't get it to stick to the knife long enough to spread it.
Better to cut the toast into soldiers and dunk, but surely not for breakfast?!

nats

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 09 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummersetter wrote:

Now that sounds good.....

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 09 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nats wrote:
yummersetter wrote:

Now that sounds good.....

Yum - time to hunt down the ice cream machine methinks

Dani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 09 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thining about following this recipie for rhubarb wine. It looks really easy and simple.

just one problem. I do not own a hydrometer, and I dont really plan on doing any more brewing in the future. can I use something else instead, or should I find a different recipie

James

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 09 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with this idea last year, still not tried it. I think I'll call it rhubarb lasagna.
It's a pudding built up in layers of stewed rhubarb, custard and pancakes. Rhubarb on the bottom, then custard, then pancake, repeat till full. Stew the rhubarb with sugar, ginger and cinnamon.
Top it off with custard sprinkled with brown sugar and cinamon, bake till sugar is browned & everthing is inter-mingled a bit.

I've got a sneaky feeling this would be rhubarb bliss!

Dani wrote:
I am thining about following this recipie for rhubarb wine. It looks really easy and simple.

just one problem. I do not own a hydrometer, and I dont really plan on doing any more brewing in the future. can I use something else instead, or should I find a different recipie

This recipe uses a hydrometer to stop the fermentation just before it totally finishes fermenting. Its better practise to let your wine ferment out totally, rack it, put an air lock in and let it clear totally, rack again (add camden tab), mature in demijohn then bottle. If its to dry, add a little potasium sorbate along with a campden tablet and then sweeten to taste prior to bottling.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 09 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummersetter wrote:

Maybe this weekend - when I went to buy the cream for the custard I got sidetracked by the half price extra thick double into butter making and there wasn't time for both. I do have the ripple ready, though.

Dani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 09 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Dani wrote:

This recipe uses a hydrometer to stop the fermentation just before it totally finishes fermenting. Its better practise to let your wine ferment out totally, rack it, put an air lock in and let it clear totally, rack again (add camden tab), mature in demijohn then bottle. If its to dry, add a little potasium sorbate along with a campden tablet and then sweeten to taste prior to bottling.

Thats brilliant...... but I have no idea what on earth you just said. racking? airlock? do i need more than one demijohn then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive