Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
toggle's Downsizer Knitalong Index

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 11 9:51 pm    Post subject: toggle's Downsizer Knitalong Index Reply with quote

toggle wrote:
Welcome to the Downsizer monthly Afghan knitalong. This is the first square so I値l talk a bit about how this will work. Every month, I will design at least 2 squares that are inspired by Downsizer in some way, maybe by the natural environment, maybe by the occupations of some of the members, by the ethos of the site or by discussions or members here. If you have ideas for a square or want to contribute a pattern for one, please PM me.

My plan is to make the squares into a blanket at the end of the year. I will at a later date show how these patterns can be adapted into dishcloths and baby bibs but more of that later. There will be an easier and a harder pattern each month, sometimes a bonus pattern or 2 if I get inspired. I intend to explore a variety of knitting techniques over the year,but I知 not an expert at everything, so there will be a few gaps. However, a modestly skilled knitter who follows the patterns should pick up a few new skills on the way.

All the patterns will be posted into separate threads for discussion. Please feel free to discuss the pattern critically. I'm learning here as well and your comments, tips and feedback helps me as well as other knitters and any problems you have can be discussed and may help others at the same point. I will be collating all the patterns into an article at the end of the year and would like to include thoughts from knitters in this. There will also be a photo thread to show off your progress.

Along that line, I would like to ask non members who are knitting this to sign up here and say hello. You don稚 have to, but we would welcome you and any comments you would like to share.

I've designed this in DK weight wool and wool blend yarns, working at 21 stitches to 4 inches on 4mm needles. This will give squares approximately 8 inches along each side. If you want a different size square, then choose a finer or chunkier yarn. Stick to the same yarn weight throughout for a good product. Gauge is only important in that it remains the same. If you are using the same brand of yarn, then tension squares are of little value. I would however, recommend that if you are using many different yarns you check that you will get the same tension with all, so you get even size squares. There are some stitch patterns that can cause tension/sizing issues if you aren't careful. I'll talk through those when we come to them.

I'll index each month's patterns into here at the end of each month so that we don't end up with thirty-odd stickies at the top of this section. This thread will be kept locked. If you have a question about one of the patterns please use this index to find the relevant thread and ask your question there. With any luck this will mean that all the bits about each pattern stay together and make toggle's eventual grand articlification scheme easier to bring to fruition.

January Easy Square: Storms

January Harder Square: Norwegian Snowflake

January Bonus Square: Mitred Square

February Easy Square: Magic Ball Knitting

February Hard Square: Flower

March Easy Square: Baggage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive