Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
So bloomin' excited, we have walnuts! ....
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 8:59 am    Post subject: So bloomin' excited, we have walnuts! .... Reply with quote

Was just doing a quick slug patrol and took a semi-hopeful look up into the walnut tree.

WE HAVE WALNUTS

OK, they're small, and I saw two nice little clusters BUT they're there, for the first time.

Very excited. So much so, I had to tweet about it

EV

Chickem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay

just watch out for squirrels

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you ask your walnut tree to talk to my walnut tree please.
I am getting very tired of waiting.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of walnut tree is it? A plain one grown from a nut or a special cultivar that's been grafted? I've got some oldish trees, 15+ years old, but they're very small and seem to struggle to keep themselves alive let alone fruit and I'm wondering if there's anything I could do to help them and if it's worth doing anything.

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
What sort of walnut tree is it?

I don't know unfortunately. It was here when we moved here, which was 9 years ago - so I would say it is probably about 15 years old. The tree looks healthy enough, despite being in a pretty exposed location.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
What sort of walnut tree is it? A plain one grown from a nut or a special cultivar that's been grafted? I've got some oldish trees, 15+ years old, but they're very small and seem to struggle to keep themselves alive let alone fruit and I'm wondering if there's anything I could do to help them and if it's worth doing anything.

Oh crumbs, now you're asking.

I have no idea. Bought in a pot (very cheap) from a garden centre. I think probably grafted.

Since moving this into the ground, it's just shot up. I do nothing special to it. It's in pretty ropey, very free draining soil but it is very sheltered.

I was going to ask questions too
How can I get it to hold onto it's fruit?

I've spotted about 8 fruit in total but was looking into the sun, so not easy and there may be a few more.

EV

marigold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 25 years ago my Dad planted a sprouting walnut and grew a tree. It had its first nuts the year he died - he was looking forward to harvesting them, but died before they were ready. My brother harvested the nuts, but didn't have the heart to eat them, so he planted them - one grew. After 10 years it started to have one or two nuts each year which the squirrels got. Last year (it's 14th) he had four nuts on it . I must ring him up and enquire about this year's crop - I live in hope that I'll get to eat one one day!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a proverb/saying to the effect that your children (or possibly grandchildren) are the ones who'll get the benefit from you planting a walnut tree?
We had an absolutely huge and very beautiful walnut tree in the garden of my childhood home. Haven't got room for one here which is a shame as I love wet walnuts.

kirstyfern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marigold wrote:
About 25 years ago my Dad planted a sprouting walnut and grew a tree. It had its first nuts the year he died - he was looking forward to harvesting them, but died before they were ready. My brother harvested the nuts, but didn't have the heart to eat them, so he planted them - one grew. After 10 years it started to have one or two nuts each year which the squirrels got. Last year (it's 14th) he had four nuts on it . I must ring him up and enquire about this year's crop - I live in hope that I'll get to eat one one day!

Spooky - exactly the same happened to my dad's walnut tree

T.G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey brilliant! - I recall the first year we got hazelnuts our walnut tree has yet to fruit

Went

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a weed here.....sorry, just picking green ones for pickling, too many to collect.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
I have no idea. Bought in a pot (very cheap) from a garden centre. I think probably grafted.

I think shelter is the key, mine are probably too exposed to the winds and don't appear to be grafted.

I'm not sure about holding onto their fruit, I've not heard of any problems apart from squirrels. Perhaps Mr T knows more?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:

I think shelter is the key, mine are probably too exposed to the winds and don't appear to be grafted.

I'm not sure about holding onto their fruit, I've not heard of any problems apart from squirrels. Perhaps Mr T knows more?

We have four cats, one who keeps an eye on anything feathery or furry from the shed roof, so can't see squirrels being a threat fortunately.

EV

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 11 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two huge walnut trees outside the allotment gates.The first year we were there,we all had loads of nuts.Last year,the squirrels got the lot.The old boys said it was a sign of a hard winter,boy were they right.
Whilst we have been digging and planting this year,we have found 8 walnuts that have been planted by said squirrels,all shooting nicely.
We have put them into pots to grow on.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 11 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooks are also a big pest, as are the parakeets which will be headed our way in the next few years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13181503

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3869815.stm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive