Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
well well old bean

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 24 8:54 pm    Post subject: well well old bean Reply with quote

what an ace dog act

an 18th C Northampton based collie was apparently particularly talented

stuff a horse that loses interest after a few winks and a bit of hoof tapping(they prefer dancing)

the reincarnation of Pythagoras with a tail is magnificent as a roll up roll up entertainer's barker pitch(specially if the dog is saying roll up)

so far i have taught a few amusing actions that could be triggered with a phrase, word or very subtle gesture

a few have been long term subversion with stealth and somebody else's mutt

imagine, dinner table of 8 by a patio window, mutt outside for easement, mutt on patio, i look at mutt, wink, nod, and mutt drums on glass with front paws and licks the glass far more enthusiastically than might be expected from a respectable lady

that took us a couple of months, it was jaw-droppingly splendid, lit from inside against a dark garden with a look and huge tongue that is hard to describe as it did full shocker movie performance
got her mother of bagel and granny of yellow hellhound status

the yhh had a grasp of a few words, when he added, in context, his own that he had picked up from humans it was a little odd
"sarah owwt" goes far beyond "owtt" and he had not been taught the naming of humans, he usually said "owwt" adding a relevant specific name is different, especially when self taught

chompsky said "hiya" and "hullo", it was fun on a full bus or train when he cheerily addressed the passengers from the front of the aisle

passers-by were very funny, although a few may have been deeply troubled by the experience of a talking dog greeting them
probably no more upsetting than a pink rat popping out of your shirt collar onto your shoulder at the checkout to ensure you have bought custard creams

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 24 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how on earth they 'interpreted' that. I can believe dogs can make different sounds, but not to the extent the advert seems to suggest.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 24 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how on earth they 'interpreted' that. I can believe dogs can make different sounds, but not to the extent the advert seems to suggest.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 24 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sausages

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 24 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cues are not seen by the crowd, the person and mutt have practised, a bit of presentation and barnum, "we proudly present Pythagoras the sheepdog"

dancing, tricks, work etc is just practice and fun, tis a two-way process which can be directed in many ways

i recon most mutts can understand between 50 and 500 words if they are used to them, i dought i am better at the 3 canine languages i have a little knowledge of
with training and cues they can "speak" (well passable enough with good social engineering that the crowd like it) approximations of a few words at the correct time when cued

woof per wink etc is easy for maths stuff, somebody or a crowd looks at you, you say "hiya" takes a bit more training

a dog that adds the correct name in context to address a "message" of one word it has been taught to use is odd
not just once, often, and with more than one name

Pythagoras and her "barker"seem to worked up a good act between them, BGT watch that space

ps there is training and there is independent learning, it can be surprising what mutts think out successfully for themselves within training(or outside it, or by training the "trainer")

the yellow hell hound is my supreme pupil, he taught me loads

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 24 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told off by a dog owner for giving its dog the wrong cue for 'Down' when it tried to jump up at me. Of course, not being a dog owner, and particularly not having attended that training school, I didn't know what the cue was.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 24 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not have been told off, should have been helped and taught....and would every dog know the same instructions?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 24 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it didn't seem logical to me that lowering hand while saying 'Down' firmly wasn't the right command. Can't remember what she said was the right sign, but it wasn't that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive