Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
An awakening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 15 6:45 am    Post subject: An awakening? Reply with quote

Happy pigs make good pork?
We've got plenty of grass here. These boys are off for the chop a week today. They will have had a short but very happy life.

I've been watching a thread on a pedigree pig face book group. One member asked how much the others were charging per kilo for their half and whole pigs. I'm currently charging £4.50p but at least half a dozen people from various parts of the country said that they got between seven and eight pounds. It was a real eye opener for me and while I always try to be as practical as I can, its made me wonder whether its me that's not living in the real world?
I love keeping my pigs but the pig keepers answering the query raised, said that they couldn't make a profit if they charged anything less for their product. I think that I may very well have been blinded by the enjoyment I get from the experience of pig keeping. I can't see how I can get more money from the pigs selling in this particular area but I do need to do some serious thinking about how I'm going about things. My marketing maybe the weak link in my enterprise.
If I'm honest, there's no 'maybe' in it.

Last edited by Bodger on Thu Jun 11, 15 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 15 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices can depend on your local audience, for sure. Neath Chris couldn't charge enough because of low local wages. And costs will also vary hugely, I guess. Some people will have a massive outlay on land to pay for, others not, for example. Others will have to charge for their time, rather than having it as a hobby.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 15 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the area you are in.
Maybe some time spent researching the local market & extra marketing will benefit your business.
Possibly different cuts during barbecue season?
Tying your cider to your pork in a bigger way?

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 15 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Package it better. It's the greatest return you'll get for your money without altering the actual product.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 15 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Area does play a big part in it. Even across Hampshire we find a difference in what we can charge for charcoal. In the west it has to go for less than in the east, and as you get into Surrey it can go for even more.

On the other hand you have to be careful not to undercut people who are trying to make a living out of something. This again is a problem we have in the coppice world. There are people who do things for a hobby and charge a low price because it isn't their living, so the public thinks that is the 'right' price.

It you think about both of these opposite criteria you should get some idea of what to charge where you are.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 15 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Area does play a big part in it. Even across Hampshire we find a difference in what we can charge for charcoal. In the west it has to go for less than in the east, and as you get into Surrey it can go for even more.

On the other hand you have to be careful not to undercut people who are trying to make a living out of something. This again is a problem we have in the coppice world. There are people who do things for a hobby and charge a low price because it isn't their living, so the public thinks that is the 'right' price.

It you think about both of these opposite criteria you should get some idea of what to charge where you are.

Pricing is no different for meat or eggs. Hobby keepers who don't take consideration of their time do no favours for people for whom it is their livelihood.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 15 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Hobby keepers who don't take consideration of their time do no favours for people for whom it is their livelihood.

This cannot be understated, hobby farmers should be no cheaper than commercial farmers of equivalent standard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive