Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Apple Identification

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 15 5:51 pm    Post subject: Apple Identification Reply with quote

Can't remember if I have ever asked this question, but when I lived in Carmarthen I had an old apple tree in the (tiny urban) back garden. It was/is very prolific, apples similar to Bramleys but the longer you kept them the yellower and sweeter they got. It produces a crop of apples every year.
The lady I sold the flat to still lives there, she is a great friend. The tree is still there too.
I took an example to an apple-identification day at Llanerchaeron, and had it identified as Chelmsford Wonder. This is a 19th century species.
I have seen it in old catalogues,
but does anyone know if it is available to the general public?

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 15 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Chelmsford Wonder, I think keepers sell it, if not look up eeaop

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 15 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an unusual tree to be planted in Carmarthen. I've never heard of it here in Somerset, but maybe someone was nostalgic for the tastes of their Essex childhood

VM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 15 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean a cooking apple if similar to Bramleys. My mum has a tree with a cooking apple which starts off green and then gets yellower and eventually sweet enough to eat fresh. It has a very nice flavour indeed when cooked for something like a crumble. I thought it might be one called Golden Noble, but my mum can't remember the name.

Chelmsford Wonder pictures show a green apple with red flecking.

There are so many apple varieties! My mum also sadly can't remember the name of the very nice eating apples from the other tree in her garden.Green/yellow turning to quite dark red, crisp and nice to eat now and long-keeping.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 15 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan goes quite deep red VM, could that be it?

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 15 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is, most cookers go from green to yellow as they mature. Looking at the late 1960s Scotts mailorder catalogue, apart from Bramley, they sold Peasgood Nonsuch, Howgate Wonder, Blenheim, Crawley Beauty, Lanes Prince Albert, Edward VII, AW Barnes and Newton Wonder, Annie Elizabeth and Monarch as recommended cookers. They had one of the largest ranges for sale so an old tree is more likely to be one of those ( unless the planter was a rare variety collector or a pip grower)

lowri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 15 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had it identified, it was suggested that there might be similar apple trees planted in gardens in the same street, but sadly I had moved away by then and apart from my friend who bought my flat I hardly know anyone there any more! It was a terrace not far from the barracks, possibly accommodation originally for soldiers' families, 19th century I believe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive