links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Aromatics for home made soap
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 9:41 am    Post subject: Aromatics for home made soap Reply with quote

With all the recent talk of home made soap I wondered iif anybody ahd any good "recipes" for home grown aromatics to make your soap smell sweetly?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oodles! All depends on whether you want to add the aromatics whilst making the soap, in which case they need to be quite 'tough' as the chemical reaction continues for a couple of weeks after the soap is made, or if you want to start with a bland soap and rebatch it by grating it, mixing in herbs etc and moistening it before squidging it bck together. this works really well if you want subtle scents in your soap as things like dried herbs will successfully scent a rebatch where you might not smell them at all in a soap where you added them really early. What did you have in mind- any favourite smells? I'll see if I can suggest some ways of getting them into your soap successfully.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not favourite smells as such, just stuff that you could grow at home and use succesfully in home made soap.

judith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate some guidance here as well. Mind you, I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I haven't actually made any soap yet!
I'd like to use lemon balm and rosemary (not in the same soap) and as I have a long hedge of rugosa roses, it would be nice to incorporate their scent as well. No idea if this is possible without having to distill the petals or something dreadfully complicated like that.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
Mind you, I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I haven't actually made any soap yet!

Sshh! (me neither )

judith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got most of the ingredients. Does that count?

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even got that far yet

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are good combinations for soap. Would it be better to buy essential oils to scent them or just use aromatic plants from the garden.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the new soapmakers amongst you, my advice would be to make your first batch a totally plain, all purpose soap. I have a soft spot for all olive Castile, but thats just me, a mixed oil batch would work just as well. Concentrate on making that first batch really well, because that will give you lots of info on how a batch of soap 'should' look when you start making more complicated recipes later. Once your soap has set, you can put some away for laundyr or household soap, then add scents to teh rest by grating it, mixing in home grown aromatics, and dampening teh mix before forming it to balls or pressing it into a mould (eg a plastic tub) to make bars. This lets you do several things, you can make more than one 'smell' at a time, you can experiemnt with fresh or dried herbs and spices, and you can have fun with soap playdough
The single thing to bear in mind throughout all of this is that almost all herbs will trun brown or black in soap due to the alkali conditions. This is no problem, just you need to know its goingto happen.
If you have essential oils to hand they are the most reliable way to get scent into soap, you usually use about 5-10 ml per batch, so you use quite a lot, and of course some are better for you in soap than others, but thats another story.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you tend to get your oils/herbs from, Sally? I imagine you must get through buckets with the quantities you make!

boff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning All,

I'd like to try making soap with cinnamon.
Never done this before any pointers.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinnamon is a known skin sensitizer so you have to be very careful not to put too much in. A sprinkling of ground cinnamon works very well in soap, but err on the side of acution. likewise with cinnamon oil, it can be used, but you ned to use very small amounts. If you want to get technical there is a website run by IFRA (the International Fragrance something or other) that spells out teh safe and legal levels for ingredients that are known to cause sensitivity in some people

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original question do the herbs have to be processed in any way before adding to the soap?

judith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
For the new soapmakers amongst you, my advice would be to make your first batch a totally plain, all purpose soap. I have a soft spot for all olive Castile, but thats just me, a mixed oil batch would work just as well. Concentrate on making that first batch really well, because that will give you lots of info on how a batch of soap 'should' look when you start making more complicated recipes later.

Sensible advice. Do you have a simple basic recipe you could point us to?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get myself home from work and I'll post a 'how to' for beginners later this afternoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive