About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
At last a shower
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:11 am    Post subject: At last a shower Reply with quote

After several weeks of ripping my bathroom apart and putting it back together I have finally got teh shower and shower screen back in This makes me very happy indeed

To finish off, only
panelling the waste pipe,
edging the floor,
sealing the floor,
finishing the tiling,
bathroom cabinet,
possible shaver socket, though this might be for the trading post, as I'm not sure it will safely fit
Finishing the venting
Another coat of paint on the ceiling.

Price of bathroom cabinets, BTW does seem very silly

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am led to believe that shaver socket is ok in bathroom only if it is a transformer based (and more expense) type. "Something to do with safety due to electrical separation-or so i am told" Probably looking more at £40 than £20. Still cheaper than funeral tho- as we point out in work to those who have fitted standard sockets in the bathroom for their wives hair dryers!

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Jema!!

I bought my bathroom cabinet from a boot sale and painted it to match my bathroom (and painted flowers on it too)

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moggins wrote:
Well done Jema!!

I bought my bathroom cabinet from a boot sale and painted it to match my bathroom (and painted flowers on it too)

I got my last one from a boot sale. But in this case I fear only posh will do

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, several weeks without a shower and your happy - get in it and use it and make the family happy.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Hmmm, several weeks without a shower and your happy - get in it and use it and make the family happy.

Have done We have actually had the new whirl pool bath up and running for awhile, and I was damn sure to schedule the work so we were never bathless. But baths just don't do it for me. I like to shower.

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: At last a shower Reply with quote

jema wrote:
To finish off, only ....
?
No such thing as finish off . Well done jema, great feeling, isn't it?

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
I am led to believe that shaver socket is ok in bathroom only if it is a transformer based (and more expense) type. "Something to do with safety due to electrical separation-or so i am told" Probably looking more at £40 than £20. Still cheaper than funeral tho- as we point out in work to those who have fitted standard sockets in the bathroom for their wives hair dryers!

Have you seen the article on DIY funerals, not too expensive, but probably still more than the right socket. Do you think those 'caring hubbies' said to the wives 'dearest, you can save time by drying your hair whilst taking a bath '?

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think alot of the DIY customers have a death wish so I might take the article in and work on commisssion basis for the makers of cardboard coffins!!
Anyone who comes in and is "just checking because her huspand has told her that it is normal to have to put the landing light on for the shower to work" needs help or mariage guidance in my opinion. certainly would not risk a home visit to look at the issue -not insured for enough!!!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
i think alot of the DIY customers have a death wish so I might take the article in and work on commisssion basis for the makers of cardboard coffins!!
Anyone who comes in and is "just checking because her huspand has told her that it is normal to have to put the landing light on for the shower to work" needs help or mariage guidance in my opinion. certainly would not risk a home visit to look at the issue -not insured for enough!!!

I do have a few sockets in the Kitchen that only work with the lights on. There was a good excuse for it at the time.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust that you are only joking! Mind you all of the electrical safety regulations were only brought in for insurance companies origionally-fire prevention rather than health and safety. Now its seems that they are updated yearly for fun. mostly it seems the bonding and safety zones in bathrooms are the parts played with regulary. "To bond or not to bond" that is the question

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
I trust that you are only joking! Mind you all of the electrical safety regulations were only brought in for insurance companies origionally-fire prevention rather than health and safety. Now its seems that they are updated yearly for fun. mostly it seems the bonding and safety zones in bathrooms are the parts played with regulary. "To bond or not to bond" that is the question

Unfortunaetly not. The kitchen has a central zone with no sockets. But it did have access to a kitchen light

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary, I am surprised the lighting circuit did not blow when you put power through onr of the sockets to anything that used any significant current.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
scary, I am surprised the lighting circuit did not blow when you put power through onr of the sockets to anything that used any significant current.

Obviously we use it for small things only. Meat slicer, mixer, that type of thing. It really annoys me that wehn people build kitchens they can leave adaquate sockets out

As it happens I could at the moment get a higher ampage supply to the same area, by dropping a wire down the currently exposed waste stack. But this would be even more "iffy".

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed-I put 10 into my kitchen which is actually quite small, merely to ensure that there was one handy in all areas should it be required, we probably only ever use two or three at a time though. My mother has a huge kitchen, not updated in the last twenty years which has one-probably enough in the fifties or sixties but not quite enough now. Their whole house is devoid of sockets i.e. one in each room-each one run off a seperate fuse-that must hve been practise in those days i guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive