links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bald Necks

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 8:16 am    Post subject: Bald Necks Reply with quote

We have three Wyandottes who seem to be going bald under their necks (their throats). The area looks quite red and sore but I can't imagine how/why the feathers are dissappearing! Everywhere else on their bodies is fine.
We also have 7 bantams in with them (fully feathered!) but I have seen no arguements and if anything one of the wyandottes is the boss chicken so wouldn't take any pecking from the little one! They also couldn't reach this area themselves.
Any ideas?

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure they are not "Turken"?

We have three such hens which are completely bald around the neck area and have patches elsewhere also. This is due to a hormone that can be introduced to most breeds and is quite normal. Where did you buy your chicks? maybe it would be worth asking them whether they are the "naked neck" breed.

See the pictures on our site of our Turken for comparison.

Hope this helps

Simon

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are the hens and did they moult in the Autumn? Pick them up and have a good look around the neck and other warm patches such as the vent area. Check for anything moving - ticks or fleas. They can pick these up from other wild birds so it's worth checking.

If you don't find anything I wouldn't worry too much as hens often seem to loose feathers in strange places.

percypony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definatley meant to have feathers on their necks (well they did up util recently! The area looks quite sore now and lumpy (!)
I can only pick one of them up as the other two are still very nervous and just run! I'll have a look at her tonight and see if she has any other patches. We had a huge infectation of mites last year (before we got these girls) so know what to look for with those little blighters!!!

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just consulted my poultry book and it says that feather eating is one of the biggest problems with poultry. Once one starts the others soon latch on. This could explain the soreness aswell.

If you think this may be part of the problem let me know and I'll send the full text.

percypony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking it up for me Simon. I supose it could be the others eating the feathers (there are certainly no feathers lying around!) but as it is only these three chickens and one of them is the dominant one I am not sure. Any why only on their throats?
Certainly a strange one but they are all happy and healthy in every other way...
S x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive