links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bent tool

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 20 8:44 pm    Post subject: Bent tool Reply with quote

Our youngest has taken down our 6ft garden wall which was 30ft long and come adrift of its foundations. so we can replace it with a trellis fence he needed to chip a hole in the foundations. for 41 years here I have been up against the previous owners extra strong concrete mix and this was the result of Stuarts labours

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 20 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our house before this one was built out of engineering brick for some reason. I reckoned on knackering two masonry bits to put up a curtain rail.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck in Swindon was pinned to engineering brick and that was a killer job, Simon who did it with me, still complains.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bring out the SDS drill DD?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good concrete below ground gets harder and stronger for at least the first 50 yrs

i have the same model of chisel, i can be rough on tools but that is impressive

that sort of concrete needs a good sds for drilling and a good, suitably sized, breaker for chipping and demolition

even more "bitey" tools are available if necessary

my least favourite brickwork to make a hole in was a chum's 1949 vintage flat in london
the gable wall where i needed to make a hole for a boiler flue was triple solid engineering brick with an air gap and very abrasive and solid composte block as an inner skin, nuke proof social housing, and they were second floor up, and the boiler was going in a smallish very solid cupboard
i never even considered making a hole in a floor but curtain rails and plumbing runs were no fun
ace building ,hard to make holes in, did it but the words would have made a pirate blush and i broke 2 drills(drills not bits)

re a new chisel, send youngster to boot sales, flea markets etc to seek out mid victorian stone mason's tools, far superior to modern stuff
it might need sharpening if it has been misused(a slightly skilled job to do it properly) but they fettle up a treat (used properly they self sharpen with use, same as a breaker chisel)
my best pair, inch bar to wedge and 3/4 inch to star 6 point were ace for tunnelling gritstone which is up there with good concrete

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps the two chisels on the left look pretty decent, but they do need the burrs grinding off the mushroom, those bits can fly off quite ballistically when they go

they can miss eye protection but end up as flesh based shrap if they take the right trajectory

as the shaft is soft(unless work hardened like burrs and the mushroom)a decent file will remove the burrs fairly easily if you don't have a post grinder to do it quickly

if you need to sharpen the pointy end do it cold, keep dipping in quenching water if grinding as that end should have a very specific temper for the metal and the job
if it colours or sparks the tool probably will need re-tempering which is a skilled job.
by hand, wet and with a diamond file/pad is reliable for putting an edge on such chisels
the angles for different uses are probably online somewhere.

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:

For SDS read Semtex

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a foot down now and we bought a bolt down post holder and will weld a lump on it and then use some postcrete as behind the trellis is next doors fence providing shelter. In the loft we have my grandads chisels and he was a brickie in the 40s so will try them before filling it in. Yes to my embarrassment the mushrooms will be ground off. I can only think that its the spinach we have been feeding him since him and GF moved in in Feb.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 20 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need anymore brackets fixed to the concrete foundation,drill holes with SDS to fit threaded bar,get some resin from a blacksmith/steel erector etc,fill hole with resin and turn bar into it,tough as old boots.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 20 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ready-made version of that are called chemical anchors
drill hole, insert bolt, turn nuts, the adhesive is released and mixed, a while later the bond is stronger than the rock

they are pretty easy (even if dangling in a harness) if a little more expensive than threaded bar and epoxy

i have trusted my life to them, even quite old ones

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 20 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbyshiredowser wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:

For SDS read Semtex

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 20 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted in conformity with law and safety

shatter with fast, shift with gassy, works for most concrete

in a garden try to shift little and reuse what you can, or get a machine to rip it out of the floor

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 20 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
deleted in conformity with law and safety

shatter with fast, shift with gassy, works for most concrete

in a garden try to shift little and reuse what you can, or get a machine to rip it out of the floor

Many moons ago we had a guest instructor teaching us overhangs with the high peak climbing club.He was an civilian civil engineering explosive technician and his claim to fame was making a trench across a petrol station forcourt with rocky ground in Nottingham

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 20 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive