Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Big Game
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:08 am    Post subject: Big Game Reply with quote

Rabbits and birds are nice.

But what advice do you suggest for bigger game such as foxes and deer?

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you're looking to do.

I could give no better advice than is given by BASC for shooting deer. They have a comprehensive code of practice here:

https://www.basc.org.uk/content/deerstalkingcodeofpractic

BASC can also help put you in touch with ecperienced stalkers. Frankly, for shooting deer, the first and best bit of advice is to learn the craft properly and not merely to rely on advice on some internet forum.

For foxes, the first thing I'd say is that very often deterring them is more effective than removing them (which, depending on the population density, can either be very effective or almost futile, I've seen both).

If you're going down the control route, it's my opinion that shooting is more humane than, say, snaring. BASC also produces a code of practice for fox snaring:
https://www.basc.org.uk/content/foxsnarepractice

But, again, to be honest, I'd advise anyone who needs to go down the control route and wants to do it themselves to contact local shooting clubs and find someone who can give them the instruction they need. I'd also suggest to them to not even consider doing so until they're first proficient in handling their weapon.

But, to be honsest Deerstalker, I'm surprised that someone like you who claims such experience should need to ask for this advice

Now, as you profess to be an experienced hunter, may I ask for your input on this subject?

Last edited by cab on Wed May 25, 05 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Big Game Reply with quote

Deerstalker wrote:

I passed this through my trusty babelfish for a translation and it came out as...... 'I think I know far more than everyone here and I want to make you look small, Love me, love me, love meeeeee!!!'

Andy B

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Big Game Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Deerstalker wrote:

I passed this through my trusty babelfish for a translation and it came out as...... 'I think I know far more than everyone here and I want to make you look small, Love me, love me, love meeeeee!!!'

deerstalker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Big Game Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:

It's an interviewer type question designed to stimulate some converation or debate - nowt wrong with cabs post.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Big Game Reply with quote

Deerstalker wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

It's an interviewer type question.

Uh huh, I get the impression that the pass rate will always be to high for us. Your club seems to have a membership of one.

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Big Game Reply with quote

Deerstalker wrote:

It's an interviewer type question designed to stimulate some converation or debate - nowt wrong with cabs post.

Is there anything you would care to add to it?

Andy B

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important is shooting for the pot for the downsizer? I would have thought it was someway down the list.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I'd like to do eventually but is a future project for now. I like to understand the background to how my food arrives on the plate so enjoy reading about advice and anecdotes by those who are current pratitioners or are setting off on the road.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
I would have thought it was someway down the list.

It is, but we've always wanted to have a broad appeal and I know there are a few members here that do shoot. It's a very interesting subject and one that I hope will continue to be discussed here.

ohouston

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: A proposal for the Taking of Large Herbavorial Hooffed Stags Reply with quote

Agree, Im not sure everyone is entering into the true spirit of this forum, but anyway...

To be honest I think its easy to over science this.

Simple answer (in the spirit of stimulating debate) - for Foxes and Deer:

1. Read an up to date book like "The Sporting Rifle" by Marshall-Ball (or whatever) and follow the advice. You could read your Great Grandfathers copy of "A proposal for the Taking of Large Herbavorial Hooffed Stags - 1805 Oatcake", but you might accidentally end up in jail for want of understanding current law.
1. Purchace a .243 (or up, whatever)
2. Spend silly money on bullets practicing with it at various ranges, so you can predictably hit a 4" disc up to at least 200m (yes 200m) under various conditions of elevation,wind, moon phasing, tide etc. etc. If this bit is too difficult, stop here.
4. Find a fox or deer that you can shoot at under the same conditions you've practiced somewhere in #3 above. Shoot it.

If doing any of the above is too complicated, take up fishing.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spilled my coffee.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ohouston, I hope you find the time to keep contributing.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deerstalker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A proposal for the Taking of Large Herbavorial Hooffed S Reply with quote

ohouston wrote:

If doing any of the above is too complicated, take up fishing.

Excellent comment sir!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive