Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
British Beekeepers' Spring Convention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 4:54 pm    Post subject: British Beekeepers' Spring Convention Reply with quote

Date: Saturday 16th April, Doors open at 9am

This is apparently quite a big event, with special offers from Thorne's (Beekeeping supplies), lectures on various topics, etc.

Web-Link is https://www.bbka.org.uk/convention.php

Lecture Topics:

Bee research; Beeswax candle-making; making wax blocks for the show bench. Preparing hive products for showing. Mead. Honey. "The Bees Knees" about the wonderful honeybee. "Working Holidays for Bees." Pollination - why and how to do it. Honey Bee Queens - selection, mating. An introduction to beekeeping with practical equipment assembly. The Computer Event. Painting with beeswax. Making the Most of your Honey Money.

Entrance Fees
On the day: £14.00, but BBKA Members £12.00 with 2005 membership card. Under seventeen’s free with adult.
Online £11.00 NB: no tickets sent - print online receipt and download programme

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, if only there were 9 days in a week

Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. There's also something about a skep-making day in that web-page. Would love to try that, but we're at the other end of the country.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees are top of the list for Bugs and I as well. Penciled in for the 8th day of the week or when I give up work, what ever comes sooner!

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alchemist, you could join in the Downsizer challenge and make your own skep

There are so many things in that day that sound good, I've been very put off "days" because a lot of them seem so bent on selling you stuff, but this sounds very good. Ah well, maybe next year.

Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who ran the beekeeping course I did a couple of years ago used to use his own skeps. They're actually quite easy to make by all accounts. Unfortunately I have a major refurb job to do on my rather rickety Nationals first. Might be worth a go at some point though as they're very handy to have going about as a spare for the odd wild swarm.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been keeping bees, Alchemist? Mochyn of this parish is, I think, getting some this year (swarms permitting!) and there are a couple of others on here who do it too, but we haven't had much about it on the forums and just one article. I'd love to know more but know so little I don't know where to start with my questions! How did you get in to it would be a good place, I suppose?

Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that i'm a bit of a fraud in that respect as I don't yet have bees of my own. I did the course with the intention of getting a couple of colonies, and have gathered all the gear, but events have rather conspired against me of late. We bought a cottage last year, which we have been doing up for some time and are on the verge of moving into it and out of the city. I already have the spot marked out where the hives are going, so next month should see me finally put my money where my mouth is.

I can, however, answer how to get into it: Contact the British Beekeepers' Association and find out who the secretary of the local association is - The BBKA almost always has contact details, and the associations are always desperate for new members as far as I can tell. My experience of Beekeepers is that they are a friendly lot, and you can frequently borrow a lot of the bigger gear from the association.

Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're quite a lot of good books on beekeeping going about. I'll dig out some names and details if you're interested (and if I can find them in my mountain of packing crates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive