Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Broadband to land with a barn but no house
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 8:58 pm    Post subject: Broadband to land with a barn but no house Reply with quote

Anyone got BT to install a new phone line into a barn on land with no house? Want it for security reasons due to the 9th break in at the weekend, but the land is miles from our house. BT say they need a postal address for the install, and got the following from the council.

"Thank you for your Street Naming and Numbering request. Unfortunately, we cannot register an official postal address to a parcel of land. We discussed this issue with Royal Mail and they state:

‘If a field or barn is part of a larger site that has an existing postal address, then under Royal Mail’s Universal Service Obligation, Royal Mail will deliver mail to the delivery point for that main address only. Onward distribution of the mail is not Royal Mail’s responsibility.

If the field/barn is not part of a larger site that is a postal address then it is not an address and does not qualify for any form of mail delivery. Royal Mail would not allocate a postal address / postcode to a piece of land, allotment or uninhabited barn.’

I apologise that we cannot assist you in this instance. However I can inform you that the Council can hold an unofficial address for the land on the Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG), if you could provide us with a location plan of the site in question. We could then provide you with a confirmation of the unofficial address of the land, as held on the LLPG, should you wish to forward that to the Phone/Broadband provider. "

Haven't called BT back about the last option as yet, need to free up a few hours as they pass me around the call centre

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you (or someone you hire) run an extension from the house?

i.e., you either run another jack out at the barn from your original number, or you get a second number for the house which really only services the barn

Edit, sorry, just saw the miles from your house bit.

Any neighbors near the barn?

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a line no problem to our office, after getting a postal address. I know plenty of folks with lines to sheds/workshops, so it might just be a case of persisting with them. Doing it in public via twitter tends to be good with large companies.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIFI powered via a solar panel / battery?

Do you know how much Open reach charge for a line install?

We got a quote to have one put in. The nearest connection point is 550 metres away. The Gov give them £3k to put a house online. They wanted £13k from us to in stall it above ground via poles. I was not sure if that was Plus or inc VAT but either way it was too much.

If we laid the (supplied) pipe they would do it for about £6k but it had to be in a straight line. Impossible to our location.

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue seems to be with RM. Maybe try with the council getting the barn registered as a workshop & office, see if that makes a difference

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at a slight tangent but if there is coverage would 4g wireless do the job?

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no coverage, gprs only

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well tis wire then

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 16 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think the issue is thee has to be a house or a business otherwise it doesn't exist in the eyes of RM. Will call the council up and see how I register the barn as a business premises, however I expect that is going to have cost implications for rates etc

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 16 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT are talking bollocks. How do you do think bus shelters etc get power, telemetry and advertising hoardings; register unoccupied lock up garages and storage etc

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/collateral/products/addressbase-premium-intro.pdf

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 16 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Chads-Orchard wrote:
no coverage, gprs only

Try a MiFi with a direction antenna.

Our speed went from 1-3mb to 25-50mb with no other changes.

onemanband

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 16 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use BT.
I had a newly registered address on building plot, but as BT hadn't updated their database with RM database, I didn't exist and wasn't getting anywhere with BT.
So when EE cold-called me, I said "I'll have your broadband if you can get me connected".
I guess she was working on commission and fiddled the system (used neighbours address) to get my application past the computer that was saying no.
Couple of weeks later a BT engineer installed the line

Before my address was registered I did the same with my electric connection - got a cold-call and got them to sort it out..

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 16 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old confusion again over two separate companies, BT Consumer and BT Openreach. EE is also part of the BT group.

Anyway, I know you can't contact Openreach direct but I don't suppose there's any mileage in having a chat with a local BT engineer when you next see one about?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 16 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There often can be. They may know how to play the system to get broadband by one means or another.

As far as postal addresses/post codes are concerned, event he police want one if you report an incident. I rather suspect if you were reporting a dead body, they might be able to find it on a map though.

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 16 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
The old confusion again over two separate companies, BT Consumer and BT Openreach. EE is also part of the BT group.

Dunno about that - I'll take your word for it. All I know is cold-callers, presumably incentivised by commission, sorted me out without much hassle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive