Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bumble bees in the wrong place.

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 16 1:42 pm    Post subject: Bumble bees in the wrong place. Reply with quote

In some old hay, and under a pallet, and under the ground.

Lots of them, buzzing. And I don't want them there. It's *my* stable.

Can I encourage them to leave safely, or am I going to kill them?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 16 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't stay long term. It's the males that fly around and they're not stingy. If you can hang on until end of summer they'll all be gone.

Bumble Bee Nest Info

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 16 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they must go and you really cant live with them the above ground ones might relocate if you move them and their home after dark ,the underground ones might be a bit tricky to dig up alive and move but i spose tis possible. a new location need not bee(sorry) fancy just a basic replication of where they are ie some sort of roof over there new home to keep their nests dry.

as for getting them to move themselves smoke might do it ,i cant think of anything else.

deportation might not kill them but it might.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 16 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
They won't stay long term. It's the males that fly around and they're not stingy. If you can hang on until end of summer they'll all be gone.

Bumble Bee Nest Info

They've got about 48 hours. I'm going to disturb them and move the hay. But there's new stuff coming.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 16 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nest is probably mainly underground. You might be able to move the whole thing, but I think it unlikely. Worth a try though.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 16 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the main nest looks like but buried in a hay bale was a collection of about 100 pale brown eggs, about 10mm across. I managed to move this, with a pile of surrounding hay to a sheltered spot next to the hedge about 10m away. I've put it on a pallet and built some shelter with more pallets and some roof sheeting.

The bees were very disturbed but not angry, and I didn't get stung. Many are buzzing round the new home. Many are left but I'm leaving a can of petrol open by the original site to encourage them outside.

Hoepfully, they've gone and suffered minimal damage. Didn't want to hurt them.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 16 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wont mention petrol

the new home seems ok to me ,as the eggs moved chances are they will mostly relocate .

well done.to you and them for the no stinging policy.

the ground hole might be a food store ,tis possible they will relocate their supplies to under or beside the egg nest.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 16 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
i wont mention petrol

the new home seems ok to me ,as the eggs moved chances are they will mostly relocate .

well done.to you and them for the no stinging policy.

the ground hole might be a food store ,tis possible they will relocate their supplies to under or beside the egg nest.

They'll get the message. move, or I send in the lads.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 16 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 16 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like the main nest, and if they have mainly gone to it, there is the best chance of survival. Where badgers try to dig out bumble bee nests in the woods, the bees get very confused as they can't find the entrance as it looks different.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive