Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bunny for dinner
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 09 11:29 pm    Post subject: Bunny for dinner Reply with quote

On my daily walk through my favourite foraging grounds I keep coming across bunnys. They all sit tantilising in the middle of the path just begging for an air rifle. Alas, the land is public, and as I have to walk past the gate house of the local military base (complete with armed guard) to get there, something make me thinking going over there with a rifle might not go down well.

I am pondering therefore the low cost option of making a snare out of wire. Question is, is that anything close to a sensible idea? Has anyone else tried it? What type of wire do people recommend?

Thanks

Julia

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 09 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's public land, snaring is as illegal as shooting without permission, and unless you are trained in their use, they offer a daunting risk of causing suffering or catching somebody's pet moggie.

For anyone wanting to catch bunnies, I'd recommend one of these:

Linky

Put bait in and around it for a few days without setting the trap so that the local bunnies see it as a food dispenser. When you remove the trapped rabbits, either neck them or kill them with a blow to the back of the head with a priest.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 09 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, you'd need some form of permission before setting those on public land, too?

(If not, I shall be up the back of the golf course by the weekend )

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 09 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with those rabbit traps is that they are very noticeable and also very pinchable. Your best bet would be to get one of these.

Jimmy didn't catch hundreds of rabbits, he caught thousands of them.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 09 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
Presumably, you'd need some form of permission before setting those on public land, too?

I would have thought so, otherwise it would probably be classed as poaching. There's a difference in the amount of attention a person would get if they were setting a discreet rabbit trap, or setting a snare, or shooting. The green-keepers would probably be glad if a few bunnies started disappearing - it's probably worth it to have a quiet word.

Landowners are often a bit nervous about letting people onto their land with guns, with good cause, but I doubt many would mind a few harmless traps. Have a word.

Wood child

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 10 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or do %90 of Downsizer members come from that insignificant lump of mud they call Wales?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 10 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just wandering round the internet looking for a row there are plenty of other places to go. If you'd like to stay here I suggest reading the site guidelines.

kirstyfern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood child wrote:
Is it me or do %90 of Downsizer members come from that insignificant lump of mud they call Wales?

Definately not!

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood child wrote:

Would you like to pop over the border and say that to our faces?

Mr O

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood child wrote:
I think it must be you.

SheepShed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood child wrote:

Just when I was starting to get to like you

Do you know that if Wales was flat it would be bigger than England ?

bibbster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood child wrote:

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 10 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
Shane wrote:

I would have thought so, otherwise it would probably be classed as poaching. There's a difference in the amount of attention a person would get if they were setting a discreet rabbit trap, or setting a snare, or shooting. The green-keepers would probably be glad if a few bunnies started disappearing - it's probably worth it to have a quiet word.

Landowners are often a bit nervous about letting people onto their land with guns, with good cause, but I doubt many would mind a few harmless traps. Have a word.

Though it seems to depend where you are. If you're somewhere rural and just asking a farmer if you could walk the field edge with an air rifle you'll probably find it a lot easier than if your in suburbia and asking the local golf club the same question.

matt_hooks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 10 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The golf club would probably prefer you to have some kind of public liability insurance as a minimum. If you don't ask, you don't get! Most golf courses will already have someone who does the bunny control, but it's always worth an ask.

Wood child

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 10 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokes. Very sorry. But no, I didn't know that Wales would be bigger than England if it were flat. By the way, was calling Wales insignificant really demanding of a stern reprimand from Mr. Forum monitor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive