Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Carving on a slate

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 18 10:50 am    Post subject: Carving on a slate Reply with quote

Hi, would a downsizer know of any one that engraves slate please?
TIA
L

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 18 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be worth asking the local monumental mason firms. tis their sort of skill set

some have CAM facilities and can pop in the artwork/copy and the machine does the cutting much like printing a photo but a bit noisier.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 18 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carving on a slate Reply with quote

lorrayne wrote:
Hi, would a downsizer know of any one that engraves slate please?
TIA
L

Is on my list of things to have a try at. Haven't managed to get a suitable slate in the same place as the engraving tool yet though.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 18 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing it has serious dust issues that need to be managed.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 18 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally done with running water to wash away dust

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could one etch, with some sort of acid? Might be a simpler solution, more suited to DIY. I know you can get stuff for glass.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Could one etch, with some sort of acid? Might be a simpler solution, more suited to DIY. I know you can get stuff for glass.

There is a kind of acid you can get that might make you see engravings that aren't there...

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik etching slate is not a thing, carved, abraded, machined are more plausible.

even if you find a (probably rather nasty ) etching agent slate is laminar so might be rather prone to sideways drift and popping.

iirc a cam diamond router with water cooling to cut the dust and prevent heat stress is the best way

dremel with a flexi drive and a cat litter tray of water is a diy option

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

There is a kind of acid you can get that might make you see engravings that aren't there...

True, although I don’t recommend it. I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate. So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought. I’d be in interested to see, because I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate.

Are you sure that wasn't marble?
Quote:
So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought.

I'm thinking they'd leave stains or discolouration rather than etching, but is not my field.
Quote:
I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.

Something that small should be quite easy I think.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

True, although I don’t recommend it. I knew someone with slate worktops, which I really liked, but they had to be really careful with red wine and lemon juice, because they indelibly marked the slate. So I imagined it wouldn’t be that difficult to do on purpose! Just a thought. I’d be in interested to see, because I’ve got some slate plant markers which would benefit from permanently marking with my favourite varieties.

Well, I know about varieties of red wine, but how many types of lemon juice are available?

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 18 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hard point and a good hand and patience should suffice

i was thinking grave markers or relief artwork.

write on it , follow the lines with a pointy thing for a while ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive