Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cheap Energy Saving Bulbs
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 8:58 am    Post subject: Cheap Energy Saving Bulbs Reply with quote

Yesterday's Indie reader offer:
Four bulbs for 19.99 plus 1.99 p&p. Plus four extra free. So really eight bulbs for 21.98, which is pretty cheap I reckon.
Bayonet or screw fitting, 20W or 11W.
Ring 0845 166 4222, quote reference IND 141.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried these but been disappointed by the light they put out and the time they take to 'warm up', by the time I've turned the stairs light on walked up or down and then turned it off they've barely got going and I've nearly broken my neck on whatever item the OH has left at the bottom step.

Anybody recomend any good ones

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are only really effective in places where the light is left on for a significant length of time.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the kosnic.cnm link? They do a two part bulb, you don't have to throw away the base every time. I might invest

Gervase

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them, but the light they give out is so blooming depressing - the colour temprature is around that of a fluorescent tube and gives a nasty greenish cast to everything - it's like living in the 'goods out' department of a factory on the Slough industrial estate!
I'm bunging 12v halogens everywhere I can in the house we're doing up. They're not cheap to buy, but they use less energy and the light is far easier on the eye.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gervase wrote:

I'm bunging 12v halogens everywhere I can in the house we're doing up. They're not cheap to buy, but they use less energy and the light is far easier on the eye.

I'd definately reccommned them. We had ours put in with the biulding work (by almost incompetent builders, so any fool can do it!) In two years we haven't had a bulb go. The GU10's give out the same light, more heat and go all the time, and are horrendously expensive to buy!

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which ones we have but they are foul things. We still have one in the living room as once that goes on in the evening, it generaly stays on (being also the dining room, study, you name it..bedroom once upon a time as well) and it's 'orrible.

What about the kitchen light that takes a while to switch on, Treacodactyl? Is that something fancy?

Otherwise, I think we have normal bulbs (apart from the big growlight! but that only goes on occasionally) - the energy ones seemed to pop just as if not more frequently than the corner-shop ones too.

I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't disagree about 12v halogens, very nice "colour" light and last well too.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
The GU10's give out the same light, more heat and go all the time, and are horrendously expensive to buy!

I went for these in the mistaken belief that they were quite environmentally sound, as well as attactive. All I can say is avoid them like the plague

jema

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that - one popped this morning and the wonderful circuit breaker plunged the house into darkness. Would not install again.

mrutty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good something that I know about

Normal light bulb 60 watts (100 if you're rich)
For a pleasent light to work under use a natural light bulb (not cheap). Instant light, good on stairs and in toilets where the light is flicked on for a few mins

Tranformed low voltage lamps 50 to 100 watts depending on make and model
Pleasent light, but gets hot. Instant light good on stairs and in toilets. Small footprint and directable (if tou use tilts or eyeballs)

Energy Saving 4 to 20 watts
Takes time to warm up and glows yellow/green. Very cheap to run if switched on and left for at least an hour at a time. Light can be changed by uping the wattage and using a lamp shade (blue reflector helps correct the balance)

Flo Tubes
Take time to warm up and burn money. You real only want them in a place where they are one for a good 30 mins or you start to wear them out. Plus side loads of light with linit shadow

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly considering a low voltage halogon system in the bathroom.

jema

mrutty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I am certainly considering a low voltage halogon system in the bathroom.

jema

Good idea, no nasty hanging cable to get in the way as you get out of the bath. Go for Eyeball lights and then you can angle one to the loo, one to the shaving mirror and one over the bath tabs.

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my energy saving bulbs fom Ikea - they're not expensive (can't remember how much now) and give off quite a mellow golden glow. Not much good for the kitchen though.

I also got a free one that i had to send off for, from the electricity company!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Devon a couple of years ago there was a scheme for people on benifits to have their loft insulated, the water tank lagged and all the bulbs in the house changed to energy efficient ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive