Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chickens for eggs and the table wanted

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:52 pm    Post subject: Chickens for eggs and the table wanted Reply with quote

Right here goes, I am going to buy some chickens, which chickens are the best layers - statistically speaking , is it still the blackrock hybrids? also what about table birds, which are the best and who do I buy them from? - sick of co-op chickens and eggs so I'm going to rear my own (if we can keep the terriers away from them.....) any suggestions or contacts gratefully recieved. All will live free range - so I'll be looking for a nice poultry house too - gale proof, or rather hurricane proof ..ish

From the illegal occupant of commercial premises who is using it for residential purposes ( according to our local council).

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back, can't help you though

Gertie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Legion, I echo Tahir's sentiments - as I'm just getting into chickens myself. Will keep an eye on this post though.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to have separate breeds as layers and table birds, or do you want a dual purpose breed and intend to eat the spare cockerels?

ejc-free

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 05 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this helps - but here are a couple of supplier sites I've recently found - can't give you any feedback on any of them though

https://www.countryfayre.uk.com/index.html
https://www.poultryinmotion.org.uk/
https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/islandpoultry
https://www.theblackrock.co.uk/agents.htm

The latter link has a few scottish suppliers listed

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 05 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some handy links there ejc

Wheelwright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 05 7:59 pm    Post subject: Chickens Reply with quote

I know that hybrids are good layers and quite hardy, but not that much meat on them.

I keep quite a wide range of chickens, from Pekin bantams, to bantam warren x's, to wyndottes, silver laced also gold laced.
I'm going to be getting more different kinds later in the year including rare breeds, New hampshires, Sussex red and brown, also french marrans.

I would recommend you keeping some hybrids for eggs, and say light sussex for meat and eggs as there good for both. They have plenty of meat. Or you could go for an old breed, so they stay around, thats what I do.
Also they lay plenty of eggs, and they have plenty of meat, so a good choice to go for. Well thats what I think, everyone thinks different things don't they.

I hope that helps you.

Dee the Wheelwright's wife.

Smallholder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 05 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Legion.
If you have a poultry auction near you they will sell spare cockerals (mainly because the vendors are to fond of the birds to put them in the freezer)..so start there...most of the birds are full grown and are much cheaper than rearing your own.
For eggs go for a Warren or Black rock.These birds are easy to keep and calm with it.
For eggs that will always sell well at top prices, if you get any surplus, I'd buy Welsommer..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive