Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Consultation on protecting health of bees

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 9:26 am    Post subject: Consultation on protecting health of bees Reply with quote

Consultation on a draft strategy on protecting and improving the health of honey bees in England and Wales
This consultation aims to engage with all those with an interest in the sustainability of honey bees. The draft strategy is the result of a series of informal discussions and consultations with beekeeping associations and other stakeholders. We now want to hear from a wider range of people, particularly individual beekeepers to make sure that the strategy represents accurately their priorities.

The closing date for comments on this consultation is 29 August 2008.

Letter to consultees
List of consultees
Consultation document (PDF 300 KB)
Response form (PDF 40 KB)
Response form (Word 120 KB)
Further information
Bee health

https://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bee-health/index.htm

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bee course this week was all about the nasties that bees can catch. They had lots of microscopes set up so you could see the pathogens. Not all of them thankfully, as the apiary doesn't have them, but some are endemic and you are looking at numbers rather that presence or absence. Very interesting.

I'm sure they are aware of this up there, but I will mention it next week.

joanne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a bulletin from our association Chairman about this last night - Must admit I don't hold out much hope that this is a good thing seeing as Bee Inspector's cannot afford to routinely inspect hives anymore or that DEFRA won't cough up vital money for funding

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do bee-keepers pay DEFRA for the inspections?

joanne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't as far as I know - I don't know whether any of our subscriptions to the BBKA go towards the work - it may do but I doubt it - The inspectors work as part of the National Bee Unit and their funding has been cut significantly from this year

This is the BBC report of the original problem

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3739432.stm

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 08 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting this here (as well) so it gets noticed.

A couple of days back DEFRA seemingly *announced* some definite measures, along with the consultation proposals.
This was reported in The Times, maybe elsewhere, maybe not.
Quote:
The creation of a Dad’s Army-style force to protect honey bees from killer diseases was announced by the Government yesterday.

The plan was included in a new package of measures to save the hives of 200 to 300 commercial beekeepers and an estimated 44,000 hobby owners that are under threat from new pests and infections predicted to hit Britain in the next ten years.

Volunteer beekeepers will be enlisted in any future emergencies to help the national team of bee inspectors to track and eradicate new viruses. The recruits will be kitted with safety suits and veiled helmets.
Times story here: https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article3708819.ece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive