Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Decking board

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 10:57 am    Post subject: Decking board Reply with quote

I'm going to have a go at building some planters that are made out of decking. Please could someone tell me if the wood will need treating with anything?

Thanks.

Went

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untreated wood will rot fairly quickly if in constant contact with damp/wet soil - treat with a preservative and line with punctured plastic (to allow drainage) - although sometimes plastic can trap water. A couple of coats of a preservative will do well and can be re-treated every couple of years.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gawber.

T.G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note: If you can get hold of some polystyrene from old packaging and put it in the bottom of the planter it will help prevent the roots of any plant sitting in water especially over winter (if, of course, you are not planning on taking them indoors) and it keeps the roots warm helping to prevent frost/ice bothering them as much.

Also yacht varnish works well on the inside of wooden planters.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decking board usually comes treated. You will need to treat any ends that you cut.
I would also suggest that you line it with polythene. Nothing rots wood faster than soil contact, and there have been concerns raised that the wood preservative can leach into the soil.
My opinion of the latter is that the rate of leaching is utterly insignificant, but I thought I would mention it.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 12 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TG and Hairy.

I'll see if I can find some polystyrene. Typical innit, I took some to the tip last week.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 12 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to use decking to get the 'look' or because you have some over from another job? If not, you might like to look on Woodlots, or Coppice(?) for some locally grown and milled western red cedar. It won't last for ever in contact with soil, but should be good for a few years and has a natural preservative in it. Because of the bark it is a bit of a pain in the big mills, but a lot of mobile sawmill operators go for small lots which have been grown as a nurse species for hardwood plantation.

For anyone interested, it makes good outdoor cladding for buildings too.

love154

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use
Railway
Sleepers
for flower beds much better

gz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wary of the preservative on railway sleepers

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can use untreated oak, chestnut, or western red cedar boards, all heartwood, they will last for a reasonably number of years without any treatment. They do rot eventually, but rotted boards can be replaced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive