Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Donald or Donella ?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 18 9:54 am    Post subject: Donald or Donella ? Reply with quote

I've just had a pleasant surprise.
If you remember, I was able to borrow a broody hen from a neighbour about a month ago. Well I managed to settle her down in one of the old dog kennels with six duck eggs and today is her 26th day of sitting.
I've got at least one early bird ! I stuck my hand under her just now and found a neat egg shell which had obviously been chipped out, which means that I have at least one duckling in there amongst the feathers somewhere. I didn't push my luck and try to fiddle about to find it but I'm well chuffed.
Some might think that's its not much to get too excited about but what you must remember, is that last year my grand total of ducklings hatched was absolutely zero !
Hopefully, there'll be a few more out shortly and I'll be able to get a photo.
Quite surprise to find the egg shell this morning when all the books I've read say that duck eggs take 28 days to incubate.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 18 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the ducklings follow the chicken about thinking it's their mother? That should be entertaining in itself!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 18 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broodies are ace but the kids might be a bit confused as to why mum does not like getting wet.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 18 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mum will probably stand at the brink panicking when the brood decide to go paddling..I've seen that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive