Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Duchy Originals. This just goes to show that its equally
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 10:11 am    Post subject: Duchy Originals. This just goes to show that its equally Reply with quote

Important to see what's not on the label of a product as whats actually on it.

Duchey Originals is a large company headed by our future King Charles the third. Its based on the produce of his largely organic estate in Cornwall. The company has a turnover in excess of 38 million pounds and its food range runs to many hundreds of items.

I watched one of a number of programmes last night on the company, its ethos and how its policies benefit the environment and countryside communities etc.
The companies foodstuffs are all from organic sutainable resources but when it came to the Duchy brand of jams and preserves, I was in for a bit of an eye opener. The jams were made under licence, as are a number of other lines. The jams had a nicel posh label with the Duchy crest along with a list of contents etc. All in all, the products were nicely presented, as should any foodstuff be thats going to go on and demand a premium price. The programme showed clips of the various jams and preserves being made in a super duper factory but then came the shocker. During the clip, the interviewer casually asked where the fruits were sourced and the factory director replied, that the organic strawberries came from Turkey and that the black currants were sourced from Denmark. He went onto explain that the fruits came from abroad because our weather conditions here in the UK encouraged mould growth and that they couldn't source quality and quantity raw products in the UK.

Now this programme was obviously designed to give Duchy Originals a glowing report and in all honesty, it probably is a nearly excellent and well motivated company but fair play to the presenters, because they stuck at the task of investigating this slightly suprising fact. They asked one of the companies sales executives about it. The woman looked fairly guilty but stuck to her guns that the company had nothing to hide. She said that if anyone was to enquire about the origin of any of their products then an honest answer would be given.
This of course IMO completely misses the point. A decision had obviously been taken by the company not to tell the consumer that the strawberries had travelled thousands of air or road miles . So the moral is, its not just a matter of reading whats on the label, you also need to know whats not on it.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want English strawberries in your jam buy Tiptree.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe they can't get UK organic blackcurrants for their jam - bushes are prolific fruiters, and not that prone to disease / pests, nor to bad weather.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive to pick though?

There's a lot of sugar in their soup.

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.duchyoriginals.com/about_duchy.php

Stacey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strangely irrational dislike of Duchy Organics

Maybe he could help some of the Cornish farmers hit by various crises by assisting them to diversify into growing blackcurrants for his jam.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ribena pinch them all? I agree - you have to assume anything not said is not happening. I've been looking for stuff produced in the UK more lately, and it's surprising the amount of hedging there is. On the weetabix packet it says 'milled and baked here' But it doesn't say grown here, so I assume it is not. Mind you, I'm a frightful cynic.

I don't much like Duchy stuff - it's very expensive (and I don't generally mind spending a few bob on food) and not all that great. It also doesn't all say its organic (like the ham) and the bacon tastes of fish (or did last time I tried it, which was some time ago, I admit)

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 08 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gingery biscuits are quite nice, and the beer isn't bad.

sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beer, I think, is made by Wychwood brewery in Oxfordshire. (Hobgoblin, Brakspear et al).

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparrow wrote:
The beer, I think, is made by Wychwood brewery in Oxfordshire. (Hobgoblin, Brakspear et al).

That explains why it I like it, then. I'm rather partial to the odd Brakspear.

Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparrow wrote:

Which part of it comes form Cornwall then?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
I find it hard to believe they can't get UK organic blackcurrants for their jam - bushes are prolific fruiters, and not that prone to disease / pests, nor to bad weather.

Ribena nick them all.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:

The label?

Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Stacey wrote:

The label?

I doubt it - that's probably outsourced as well

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 08 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judith wrote:
sparrow wrote:

That explains why it I like it, then. I'm rather partial to the odd Brakspear.

UNless the brand has been bought, Wychwood don't make Brakspear. I'm way out of date, but I ran Wychwood's first pub! Lovely place in St. Aines.

Happy days...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive