Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
EV price parity
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 22 2:59 pm    Post subject: EV price parity Reply with quote

https://thedriven.io/2020/12/18/electric-car-batteries-fall-below-magic-price-parity-point/

some companies must be making a fortune off EVs right now.

https://www.qad.com/blog/2021/05/why-the-ev-is-now-cheaper-than-an-ice-vehicle?fbclid=IwAR1Qwuuci0emlIHX7MaBQEbVAe--aCUjIwvTOKNN-dAxO7MGkU8dauJCVR0

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW delivered less cars for more profit last year, so yes they are. Wo t last long, loads of Chinese firms launching in Europe already

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

price matters, cheap batteries are not much use with expensive grid leccy

cheap batteries/cheap panels seems a good option
the place to put the panels would be expensive for many

not moving 1500kg of metal to move 100 kg of person might be a start

15kg of metal and 15kvh leccy and 50kg of person is rather tidy for 50 miles at 20/25mph on a decent surface

a fullish train, with bike space is quite efficient
the rail networks have enough trackside space to use pv to run the rolling stock, iirc there are such lines elsewhere

there is a problem, the seven sisters own most politicians and the rest are not a lot better at joined up thinking

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An increase in public transport is ideal, I must admit, and bikes have their uses, but we have got used to using a nice warm car rather than being out in all weathers. Even too many bikes can be problematical; outmuster at Portsmouth Dockyard in the days when most men used bikes was rather frightening. I saw the tail end of that, and you didn't even try to cross the road until they were past. The policeman on point duty held up the traffic for them and if a cyclist got on the wrong side, they ended up in the north rather than the south of the city, as they couldn't get to the other side of the stream.

As yet, there is still no solution of heavy lorries or full sized tractors, but no doubt that will come. The other problem, outlined already, is that if the car manufacturers choose to keep the price high and pocket the profit, many people will not be able to afford an EV.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
An increase in public transport is ideal, I must admit, and bikes have their uses, but we have got used to using a nice warm car rather than being out in all weathers. Even too many bikes can be problematical; outmuster at Portsmouth Dockyard in the days when most men used bikes was rather frightening. I saw the tail end of that, and you didn't even try to cross the road until they were past. The policeman on point duty held up the traffic for them and if a cyclist got on the wrong side, they ended up in the north rather than the south of the city, as they couldn't get to the other side of the stream.

Could you imagine the same number of folks in individual cars?

I have to imagine that was more an issue of infrastructure, and numbers getting out at one time. The only way it's not a problem now is that infrastructure has been improved (highways and/or mass transit) and/or the issue of so many trying to leave at the same time ceased (suburbanization, change in shifts, decimation of the local industry, whatever)

The dutch have highly efficient bicycle highways, and many other traffic systems that move cyclists efficiently. Apart from mass transit, I don't think there's any better way to move many people without taking up lots of space (like individual cars would... Heck, even if they carpooled and it was 2 or 3 to a car)
This YouTube channel has lots of great videos about how zoning and planning and transportation tech etc could drastically improve lives around the world. It's more targeted to North American audiences because the contrast is so stark and we've royally messed things up here, but I imagine some of the same contrasts he draws would apply to the UK as well: https://youtu.be/knbVWXzL4-4

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever the Netherlands are held up as a great example of promoting cycling - and indeed they are - I always want to shout that is is mostly flat terrain there, and that there is a reason why it isn't so popular in, say, hilly Devon.

Saying that, I am considering investing in an ebike, which I think might be a logical first step before an EV

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky cigreen wrote:
whenever the Netherlands are held up as a great example of promoting cycling - and indeed they are - I always want to shout that is is mostly flat terrain there, and that there is a reason why it isn't so popular in, say, hilly Devon.

Saying that, I am considering investing in an ebike, which I think might be a logical first step before an EV

It's folly to suggest that one answer will solve all problems in all places. Most urban areas are relatively flat however.

EV bikes are still relatively new on the scene - they are likely going to make bicycles more of a solution in many places where they wouldn't previously have been.
The roads near me are not very safe for cyclists, and I'm very rural, so even an EV bike probably isn't the thing here.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky cigreen wrote:

our first generation e bikes coped with all but one devon bendy hill going up, the new ones can climb far better

the cheap "commuter" types are ok in a smooth and fairly flat place, cheap off road ones are not too good on or off road
good off road ones are often good on roads and tracks which can be rather lumpy for road bike versions

you get what you pay for, and then customize it to suit your needs and body
fine if you can mostly avoid roads(even with defensive driving tweaks it is still a bike and they are in big metal things)
devon roads are either deserted with surprises or a bit busy iirc so off-road capacity to use byways and paths etc is useful(a shortcut across a golf course can save your life) and it can be quicker and easier in some landscapes

ps the 15mph motor cut out rule is dangeroos in traffic, folk quite reasonably expect a bike that gets from 0 to 15 very quickly to reach 25 to 30 soon after, then they get you from behind
this issue can be resolved, although it has legal implications to resolve it

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

our first generation e bikes coped with all but one devon bendy hill going up, the new ones can climb far better

the cheap "commuter" types are ok in a smooth and fairly flat place, cheap off road ones are not too good on or off road
good off road ones are often good on roads and tracks which can be rather lumpy for road bike versions

you get what you pay for, and then customize it to suit your needs and body
fine if you can mostly avoid roads(even with defensive driving tweaks it is still a bike and they are in big metal things)
devon roads are either deserted with surprises or a bit busy iirc so off-road capacity to use byways and paths etc is useful(a shortcut across a golf course can save your life) and it can be quicker and easier in some landscapes

ps the 15mph motor cut out rule is dangeroos in traffic, folk quite reasonably expect a bike that gets from 0 to 15 very quickly to reach 25 to 30 soon after, then they get you from behind
this issue can be resolved, although it has legal implications to resolve it

I know quite a few with ebikes here - generally folk are cycling everywhere, no one is using it to get up to high speed and just hitting the button on particularly steep bits. Which we have many.
Fortunately, Devon is making good inroads (scuse pun) into making a good network of cycle paths, and my favourite is traffic free tarmac. Up until a couple of years ago I was cycling by me-power from sea level at Plymouth up onto the moors, almost entirely on dedicated cycle path. but am a bit creaky for it now and envy having that button to push.

Shane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother's in Devon and bought an ebike a year or so ago. She's absolutely loving it! As you said, she tends to use it as a normal bike and uses the motor to assist up the hilly bits.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 22 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 15kg even with good gearing* ours are a bit heavy unless a minimum setting is on
on full with hills is ok

fast if appropriate is essential in urban traffic, polite is essential in mixed use settings

the cut off thing at 15 is scary leaving traffic lights, crossing A roads or on a roundabout

*i had my drive gear changed for lower cadence, losing a few degrees off a maximum slope is a fair price for making it work well at 65 rpm rather than 80 rpm

our current ones are pedal power control and pedal hub motor, ie we need to pedal but it more than doubles it if you want it to, the old ones had twist throttle or pedal control and a rear hub motor, not as nice although the grip throttle was useful for a rolling rest or uphill walking it

devon is hilly, good brakes are essential, discs both ends seems wise, good disc brakes, the downhills were a bit scary and i come from the pennines where a few roads are 1 in 3 in parts

ps it is not about high speed, it is about urban traffic speeds without a rough power cutout just when it is most likely to kill you
it can be about a power cut out on a moderate corner, try taking your foot of an accelerator a third into a corner, don't it can become messy for steering and for folk around you trying to predict your vectors(most are rubbish anyway)

Allegedly my motor will still help at 30+ on perfect tarmac with the front forks and tyres set hard
i have never needed more than 20 ish to be safe on urban roads as agility counts for a lot as a survival skill

that 15 cut off point was ill chosen, probably by a committee that have no practical experience of the effects of that on real world riding

as an example, down hill to a visible and smooth but tight corner
if you go in at 15+ and want to accelerate out to stick to the line it has to be human powered if you can as you bleed kinetic energy
tweaked the motor will pull as well, and you can come out at 15+ rather than slide off sideways or have a wobble trying to hold it and pedal too hard

ps i have often been overtaken by human powered ones, some of which were ridden safely
my feeling is i will do my best not to get hurt or hurt anyone, furious riding has no place in my life
unless i am dodging road things a gentle float along or an interesting obstacle track off road route at low speed is fine

another good reason for good brakes is sudden stops, they can be required for assorted reasons, e bikes have extra mass and often are loaded with stuff as well
the sort of brakes that will work on a stepper are not up to the dynamics, double discs and preferably good hydraulic ones

another brake thing, they are best separate from the control gear, our gen one bikes cut the motor if the brakes were applied, these adjust the motor depending how hard you press a pedal
much nicer

sorry i am talking about a serious investment for this sort of e bike, they are nice and practical and safer than floppy bits of carp with poor control gear and worse running gear though

they are based on these we both have shock absorbing seat posts, racks, i have a gear upgrade, we both have very good tyres, i had my handle bars made shorter, both of us have chosen different pedals to off the shelf, etc

considering the two frames and power/control stuff are the same apart from the paint we both have created a bike that suits us for an extra few hundred quid and some upcycling from older bikes and some paid for advi ce and tuning works(high hundreds if all the bits were new)

even though i am not young fit or healthy it can be practical transport for some tasks including shopping(see racks and bags and ting) and it is fun on daft surfaces and slopes and as a way to cover distance that i could no longer do on foot
tt also uses hers as work transport if she needs to visit a school or go to a meeting

flat city or lumpy country the same sort of parameters are important

we have tried a few "courtesy" ones when ours were being maintained etc they are very shonky and scary to ride let alone ride in the real world

our first ones were a bit mark one landy crossed with a model t ford

after chopping and tweeking these are more class b quatro crossed with a silverline pram

ps can it hit a random potato and you stay on? that is down to the bike as much as you, stable under stress is important both sides of the saddle

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 mph may be due to the morons that have decided that electric bikes/scooters/etc are an appropriate tool for whizzing through crowded pedestrian precincts. I've nearly been taken out a few times in various places in Europe, and I'd certainly not want to be hit at 20 mph.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try very hard to avoid pedestrians in shared spaces(not easy if they are taking selfies etc) as any collision is going to hurt me as well as them and hurting them is rude

the 15 was written by car drivers at a guess, either they like to retain their score rates and retain the Bystander Cup which they have held for a hundred years or so as e bikes are so dangerous or they want to retain their score rate cos the 15 cut out in traffic makes it easy for them to scores

gz is the person to ask about bike speeds but iirc many stepper cyclists can easily exceed 15, many around here do as they pass me on cycle tracks or roads

i have no idea of the numbers of fatalities caused but mobility scooters might well exceed those caused by all types of cyclists

as it is very rare it gets press attention and the fossil lobby political shills pounce on it as an example to justify selling oil to folk in metal boxes who kill far more by direct and indirect means rather than developing a clean safe integrated transport system

at the mo the mail is trying to demonize all cyclists, there have been direct confrontations of innocent cyclists being abused by folk in cars waving newspapers at them during the most recent sortie into a distractional culture war to prevent folk looking at real problems and causes

most car users are reasonable if a little careless (understatement), but that does not alter the kill scores by collision or poisoning, nor does it alter that vested interests are opposed to losing their income stream

would i rather

A: dodge an amsterdam window cleaner on a bike with a 5M long ladder on his shoulder(wow)
or
B: dodge a van with a roof rack and perhaps a ladder is not tied it on properly (not something you want to see from the rearview mirror )

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having cut outs at any speed on any motorised vehicle is dangerous. There used to be a cut out at 30 mph on Post Office vans (talking WWII vintage), which my father learnt to drive on. There is still a cut out at 30mph for mopeds, and that again can be problematical when trying to get out of the way of trouble. E-scooters are a pain on pavements, mainly because they are being ridden illegally by youngsters too young and too daft to have a driving licence. I nearly got taken out by one a while back in a local village; only consolation is it would have hurt him as much as me.

If I had an e-bike I would need a trailer with enough room to take at least 10 bags of charcoal, as that would be the main way to make it worth while.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cargo bikes are ace and can handle more than that

not cheap for a good un

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive