Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ethics, poaching and the law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 8:40 pm    Post subject: Ethics, poaching and the law Reply with quote

Can any of you folk let me knew where I can get an up-to-date outline of English law on hunting?

Nobody I've spoken to recently has been able to tell me what's legal and what's illegal in England.

For example, what constitues poaching, is it ethically "acceptable" in some rural areas, how is it controlled, and what are the penalties for being caught?

My French friends are keen to know what's happening in England, and I must admit I can't give them a straight answer.

HWH

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do you need the permission of the landholder. I'm not sure if this is true in France so I'd be equally interested in what happens in France.

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the same here.

You sign a document giving the Association de Chasse (Hunting Association) the right to hunt on your land and this can be revoked at any time.

You can tell the hunters they have no right on your land if you are against hunting for any reason, or you can ask them not to hunt, but make your land a "Reserve de Chasse", managed by the local gamekeeper. He or she can then use your land to release game for reproduction (to avoid inbreeding or to increase stock) at the end of the open season. Your land can also be used to trap pests like martins and foxes.

What happens in England?

HWH

deerstalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poaching laws in the UK are very old and very complicated.

They date back to William the Conquerer (a french man ). I will get back to you with more. For the time being;

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/4093437.stm

DarrenG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to be very carefull with poaching laws, as what applies monday - saturday normally doesnt apply on a sunday, for instance I am not allowed to course hares on my own land on a sunday with guests, but I can myself and one other in the interests of pest control, you cannot take deer or black game on a sunday.You can take deer with dogs ONLY during daylight hours mon-sat poaching is only poaching if you are there without landowners permission, 5 or more of you is tresspass with intent and carries a grade two fine/imprisonment, and new this year is the seizure and destruction of vehicles used in the pursuit of illegally caught game

deerstalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poaching is a crime - fullstop!

Anybody who takes part is a crimminal!

See:

https://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/1000farming/tm_objectid=14977234&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=these-poaching-gangs-are-organised-criminals-name_page.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive