Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Exporting
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 4:47 pm    Post subject: Exporting Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-55593308
This is worrying..
I had so far gathered that my sort of work could sort of go under the radar as it is original and not expensive.
Has anyone looked into this further?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spotted the implications in 2015 unlike the brexit cultists, i do not export often but i do import stuff, hence stocking up on dremel kit and several other things

bike parts might well be an issue(german and japanese) but at the mo both bikes are in fairly good condition

exporting stuff has logistic issues at the mo as well as the assorted new trade barriers imposed on us by people who either do not care as money laundering and tax evasion was their motive and those did not understand they were being lied to while wanting the forins and brown folk gone to they were lied to about this as well.

ps one option is to evade the "rules" which works fine for sanctions busting or "illegal" goods, although a cargo stuck or intercepted is a cargo at risk, so plan it well whether it is a vase or a boat load of arms.
they promoted a "buccaneering spirit" so it does seem to have official approval to break international law in a specific and limited way

it seems unlikely that the sort of peeps who gave the scum the opportunity to cause this understood much beyond their own personal brexit fantasies of white unicorns who do not speak forrin.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pps a while ago i was posting antique and collectable stuff everywhere bar Antarctica, that is probably impossible at the mo, at least for "minor" stuff that cannot justify the extra costs etc.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike stuff has been in short supply for nearly a year.

One of the commenters on the facebook post that shared this had had trouble when she sent Xmas gifts and cards to family 😕

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the commission on smuggling pots ?

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if you are a visiting potter abroad giving a lecture or demo and take pots with you, you have to pay VAT and other duties on the way out.....and others on the way back.....and then try and claim an amount back

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis a while since i did outgoing but the same principles probably still apply

this conversation is open to interpretation, good, and better than explicit

anything can go anywhere if it is done well

my last made me happy and bought a poor kid in a poor place a new face so i have no respect for restrictions to trade.
i do have issues with some traders

some do that type of thing with stuff that is not nice, see dodgy EUC's(and often legit ones), dodgy waste etc

i am really glad i do not have my boat tied up as catching stuff and then having it rot before i could "post"it would be very upsetting(hope they deliver the problem where it belongs, in bulk and perhaps with slurry sprayers if it has gone soupy in the trucks)

fortunately i have no urgency to try to internationalize the few things i intend to sell on to the big market at the mo, fashion, sensibilities and sensitivities are as much of an issue as practical logistics(for a few reasons)with some antique stuff, timing matters.

"not at the current time"might upset many for good reasons and inform others that timing is queen

anything and anyone can be transported, can it be done at an acceptable cost or risk is item and circumstance specific

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I have sold some mugs in the past to someone who lives in the EU..but his daughter lives in Wales...which is where the mugs went to initially

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 21 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, so you should look at the regulations very carefully to avoid problems, but I think if all the contents, which will include clay and glazes are produced in the UK, there is just VAT, but you may have to register for VAT to be allowed to export. It is far more complex, unfortunately than it was.

As our stuff is of untreated wood, which is worked green, and sometimes bark on, we don't export on the grounds of biosecurity, so thank goodness, we aren't affected.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 21 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
I know that if you are a visiting potter abroad giving a lecture or demo and take pots with you, you have to pay VAT and other duties on the way out.....and others on the way back.....and then try and claim an amount back

Really? In pre free market days we used to often do sample buying trips in France and Italy, on the way back in we had to declare them as samples and occasionally (on the whim of the customs officer) have to pay VAT and duty on them. I was helping a friend who sells clothes through Amazon this morning, he sells across Europe through Fulfilled by Amazon. He used to send goods to various Amazon warehouses for local markets as necessary. He now has to register for VAT in each territory, the VAT is applied to the full sales price (not nett of costs). So far he's registered in Germany only but has consignments stuck with UPS.

I think I've ironed out his paperwork issues for the consignment he's sending out today but UPS are chocka with failed consignments that have no or incomplete documentation.

I have no idea whether "rules of origin" will be applied as they were previously but we used to waste loads of time responding to Customs requests to prove that origin was as claimed.

In your case gz you'd need to prove what percentage of your product originated within EEA/EFTA or EC or UK so you'd need to show some kind of simple calculation for each piece you sell. I can help you if it ever comes to it.

Of course none of this applies to Dyson as all his stuff is made in Asia and is sold into the EC via Singapore. Thanks James, blinding geezer.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 21 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scum floats and makes the pond toxic.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 21 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tahir.
It knocks you back on your heels, thinking about all the paperwork...one reason I pulled back on things a few years ago.
No more Japanese and Italian paper????

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 21 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
No more Japanese and Italian paper????

Japanese will be more of an issue than Italian, but yeah I've been through it all pre single market and that's one of the reasons I was so anti Brexit.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful that you know about these things Tahir. More or less what I thought, but glad you know about it properly. Makes life very difficult if anyone wants to export which is exactly what we were afraid of.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Makes life very difficult if anyone wants to export which is exactly what we were afraid of.

Depends, there'll be a sensible way forward agreed for things like cars, construction machinery etc but for the small and possibly occasional exporter it's certainly going to be more time consuming and probably costly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive