Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
First forage this year

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 11:20 am    Post subject: First forage this year Reply with quote

I've had a few parasols so far this year, but managed to get out for a proper hunt at the weekend. Not quite so easy when you have a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old in tow, but still managed a small haul. Put to shame by most of you guys, but a good start. Got 7 different types of bolettes too (not in the pic), and a few I have no idea on. Currently IDing the bolettes and taking spore prints of the others. Not for eating, just for learning.

Also, first Cauliflower I've ever found

jp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyster mushrooms, Cauliflower, Amethyst Deceivers & possibly a Cep - looks a good collection. Always be positive of your ID before eating anything though.

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 13 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp wrote:
Oyster mushrooms, Cauliflower, Amethyst Deceivers & possibly a Cep - looks a good collection. Always be positive of your ID before eating anything though.

It is a little cep, already had bug damage so I thought I'd go for it.
Also scarletina bollete and porcelein mushroooms in the container. This is the basket I am 100% positive on ID.

Don't worry, I'm gonna make it to an old forager, I've no intentions of being bold. This is my third year of foraging for eating, spent a good couple of years before that foraging without eating, just practising identification. I found what I am pretty certain was a blusher, but given it's similarities to the panther cap I'm not ready to try it yet. And I'm still overly cautious with the Agaricus family too!

jp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 13 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - cautious mushroom foraging is the best way to become an old mushroom forager

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 13 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across what look like porcelain mushrooms apparently growing from the ground in the wood. There could be underlying wood, but not obvious. Is this likely, and is there any other mushroom they could be?

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 13 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I have come across what look like porcelain mushrooms apparently growing from the ground in the wood. There could be underlying wood, but not obvious. Is this likely, and is there any other mushroom they could be?

They do grow on wood so I'd make 100% certain there is buried wood there. But they are pretty hard to mistake for something else. Proper slimey cap (hence I have a seperate box for them), cap is that thin that you can hold it up to the light and see the gills through it.

And make sure you can tick off all ID points Linky

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't particularly want to eat them, but it seemed a bit odd. Any other suggestions as to what they could be if not on wood? They don't seem to be growing in groups either, but do look otherwise like porcelain mushrooms.

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 13 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but they are pretty unmistakable. The slimy cap will be the give away (go on, touch it, I dare you )

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 13 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. I don't like slime.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive