Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Flowering Currant

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:16 am    Post subject: Flowering Currant Reply with quote

I've been eating lots of flowers from fllowering currants this year (the pretty pink flowered currant bushes, the ones that look good but produce bland, pointless fruit).

The flowers are really tasty; I pick them off from the clusters and scatter them over a salad, they taste sweet and curranty.

It's only just occurred to me that I haveno idea as to whether they're edible... I presume that they are. Any ideas?

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know but I *hate* the smell of flowering currant. It wouldn't occur to me to eat it. Weirdo.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Don't know but I *hate* the smell of flowering currant. It wouldn't occur to me to eat it. Weirdo.

Hmmm.... Try eating the top, tender leaves from black currants then. Might be more to your tastes, you flower hating oddity

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
top, tender leaves from black currants then. Might be more to your tastes, you flower hating oddity

I don't hate most flowers, just those that appear to have got their scent from the wrong end of a cat.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article on edible flowers on Plants for a Future - they mention two Ribes, but not, I think, flowering currant

https://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/flowers.php

I think the subtext is it's a nasty old plant that you'd be mad to grow and even madder to eat. But that's just my conclusion.

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too similar to warrant its own post....can you eat wallflowers? They're brassicas, and they smell lovely. But I've never heard of them being edible.

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Ribes bushes....so I might give it a whirl. You're still here to tell the tale, anyway, Cab!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs - you have a weird sense of smell- like that of my wife's - I just CANNOT smell cats pee in the scent of the flowers..

Rich

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
This is too similar to warrant its own post....can you eat wallflowers? They're brassicas, and they smell lovely. But I've never heard of them being edible.

I honestly don't know.

I wonder whether it's in Phillips...

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's in Phillips, but NOT in his wild food book; it's in the herbs book, and it certainly is not edible; it's even more cardiotonic than foxgloves, so should really, really be avoided. Really nasty.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they that bad? Are they still safe to bring in as cut flowers? I'm also sure we used to feed them to our rabbits.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Are they that bad? Are they still safe to bring in as cut flowers? I'm also sure we used to feed them to our rabbits.

Phillips is quite explicit.

Fine as a cut flower, and fine as a scent, but don't eat them

As for the rabbits, all bets are off as to what they can digest!

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
cab wrote:
top, tender leaves from black currants then. Might be more to your tastes, you flower hating oddity

I don't hate most flowers, just those that appear to have got their scent from the wrong end of a cat.

ROFLMAO!!!

that's how i feel about lavendar, everyone thinks i'm weird but it makes me feel so dizzy and lightheaded that i feel like i'll vomit... as you can imagine that doesn't hold alot of appeal to me

so, i'll know i've found flowering currant if i smell cat bottom then? i think i'll stick to sniffing for wild garlic

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Phillips is quite explicit.

Fine as a cut flower, and fine as a scent, but don't eat them

As for the rabbits, all bets are off as to what they can digest!

ok, i'm getting a bit confused, is it the wallflower that is not edible or the currant flowers?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Wallflower are potentially poisonous; I have yet to find reference to any Ribes species being toxic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive