Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Forests and Climate Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 22 1:59 pm    Post subject: Forests and Climate Change Reply with quote

Might be interesting for some here:

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/publications/adapting-forest-and-woodland-management-to-the-changing-climate/

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 22 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixed planting, basic protections, hope for the best

my 50 yr 7 acre north slope is covered in trees.
it was ashes, sand and bracken that burned a treat before i started throwing seeds

the soil is about a foot deep and damp enough not to burn easily
30 or so types of oak, many assorted others that range from mature nanny birch to well cropping fruit and nut things

there are some conifers and a few "exotics"

what thrives so far may be different to what thrives in a while
these have created soil and a proto forest with varied micro niches

in 500 yrs it will be different, now it is better than when i first knew it

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 22 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read some of that, and will read it more fully as I am currently writing a management plan for the woods. We are managing climate change by altering the age range of the plantation areas by thinning and opening up glades for natural regeneration, encouraging seeding of trees so that we get the ones surviving at any one time that are likely to succeed and be somewhat adaptable to whatever climate change occurs, have a mixed woodland so that there is a range of species. We are not likely to suffer from fire, and being on chalk, the water can be drawn up through the tree roots. Our woodland has been there for perhaps 1000 years, so has already withstood several climate changes such as the 'mini ice age'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive