links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Getting ready for summer kayak fishing - Llanrhystud, Wales
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 8:32 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for summer kayak fishing - Llanrhystud, Wales Reply with quote

Met up with Mike from Aberystwyth this pm at llanrhystud for a first paddle of 2010. 9mph winds so just a bit of chop and very little surf thankfully. No fishing today as we both wanted to get back into the paddling and there arent many fish about yet.

Launched just after 2pm from the beach carpark, admiring the new lambs in the fields on the way down the track.

We paddled northwards towards Aberyswyth against the now ebbing tide and against the wind, so we could have an easy ride back. Mike was in his prowler 4.5 elite and I was in the scupper pro.

We paddled against an increasing chop towards the cliffline and parked up on the pebble beach for a breather and to swap kayaks.

Mike wanted a go in a scupper pro so we swapped kayaks after the break and paddled with the tide and wind back towards the launch point.

After getting back to the launch point around 4pm we decided to have a play near the beach as Mike hadnt done many self rescues before. I gave the dry suit another test with the scupper after dumping the camera and vhf on the beach. After a few months lay off I struggled to get back on the scupper and kept falling back in, but at least the dry suit didnt leak!

After a rest Mike tried some self rescues in his elite 4.5 and proved that he could do several without a problem. After I did a self rescue on the elite I went back out on the scupper and managed to complete a self rescue on that. Heres some pics of Mike on the elite and scupper (sorry about the blurred quality - had water on the lens)

Mike doing a (dead) turtle impression

and on the scupper:

after the play it was time to head in to shore and a well earned cup of tea

Nice to be out for a paddle again, and lucky with the weather

Roll on spring and them bass and tope ;D

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very cold on the beach waiting for them

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them to come a little further north off the beach by our house and you can have a cuppa and cake with me while they go off and play.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely day for it.

sako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must try that one day, ever tried fly fishing for bass,pollack etc?
Even so i will wait until it warms up!
Cheers
Richard

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite fancy giving that go some time - but in the Summer. Trying to make out from your pictures what you are wearing. Not wet suits?

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 10 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have dry suits on when they go out in the winter. I only go out in the summer when the sea is calm and the sun is shinning. Its good fun and kids love it also.

May take you up on that Cathryn I do hate my ears being cold.

Moniar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 10 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sako wrote:
I must try that one day, ever tried fly fishing for bass,pollack etc?
Even so i will wait until it warms up!
Cheers
Richard

Not tried yet Richard but bought myself a salt water fly rod last summer and will be giving it go for the bass and pollack and mackeral this summer once Mike gives me some lessons on fly fishing from the kayak

Moniar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 10 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
I quite fancy giving that go some time - but in the Summer. Trying to make out from your pictures what you are wearing. Not wet suits?

Yes dry suits, with thermals on underneath, and then life vest, with day/night flare, vhf radio, whistle, handheld gps - all the toys! More importantly, the knowledge to use them and the ability to both self rescue and assist rescue - hence the practice session at the end of the paddle when back on the shallow beach. Safety is the primary issue, along with warmth in winter paddling. In summer we tend to wear wet suits and a windproof jacket as it can still get chilly when you are anchored up fishing for a few hours.

Great fun in summer, playing with the kids in the surf or paddling to a remote cove with a picnic or portable barbi to cook the mackeral on

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 10 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not fun in cold water. I've dived in waters (Dorothea) that were at 5C and half an hour was enough even in a dry suit (the water pressure squeezes most of the air out and you have precious little insulation remaining).

BahamaMama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 10 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very envious - we have started talking about getting the boats out again although I would like it much warmer before I go in the water.

Mackerel fishing is on my list of things to do this summer

Jacqui

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 10 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't let my other half buy a kayak but had to relent and let him have a Seahog Shortie. He goes out fishing from Aberaeron harbour when he slips his leash.

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 10 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacqui wrote:
Wouldn't let my other half buy a kayak but had to relent and let him have a Seahog Shortie. He goes out fishing from Aberaeron harbour when he slips his leash.

jacqui moniar is my other half, they should try and meet at aberaeron.

Jacqui

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 10 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been speaking to him about the kayaks and he said he has seen them whilst he was out. Unfortunately, he can only go fishing when my youngest son comes over to stay as I am afraid of water and he can't launch the boat on his own. The boat is called 'the 4th of July'. I would post a photo of her if I knew how.

Perhaps they will bump into each other (not literally, I hope).

perlogalism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 10 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
It's not fun in cold water. I've dived in waters (Dorothea) that were at 5C and half an hour was enough even in a dry suit (the water pressure squeezes most of the air out and you have precious little insulation remaining).

Yep, I can relate to that: Did my Adv Nitrox course in Stoney in Jan with snow on the ground! I think the "surprised" emoticon sums it up nicely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive