links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Hand planer or bench planer thicknesser
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 12 11:46 am    Post subject: Hand planer or bench planer thicknesser Reply with quote

Having burnt out my axminster cheapie planer I'm looking for a replacement.

Most of what I use if for was for rough thicknessing so I was thinking about getting a planer / thicknesser instead. The question is, are they worth it or is just another bit of kit to stub toes on in the workshop?

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 12 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine lots but still use a hand held one as well.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 12 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 10 x 6 Elektra Beckum from Axminster about 12 years ago;it was just before the model was superceded (sp) by another, & thus was reduced in price. I bought it for the business I had at the time; used it every day, more or less, & have only replaced the knives & the pulley.......to me at least that seems like excellent value for money.
EB are now something more obscure like a part of Ryobi, & recently when trying to order parts here (arse-end of SW France), it was quicker to ask Axminster to send them (& cheaper) than local suppliers.
I still have the machine, & for a machine this size, it's very robust & has earned me (or allowed me to earn) a lot of money.....

I hope this helps

reebok

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 12 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious about quality woodworking, a good planer/thicknesser will take you to a new, higher level and make you very happy.

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 13 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I need to get one of these now (need to make some window frames and it will make the job a lot easier) but don't know what to get, so based on the choice of my local DIY shed or axminster should I go for Einhell, Ryobi, Black and Decket or Makita?

For the job in hand a planer rather than a planer thicknesser is called for so at least it should be a bi cheaper but I'm still willing to spend enough to get something that won't burn out again.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 13 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of Einhell, B&D used to be good about 30 years ago.
Ryobi seem good, but in my experience, their customer services are full of manure.

So, all else being equal, I'd probably try Matika.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 13 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
I've never heard of Einhell, B&D used to be good about 30 years ago.
Ryobi seem good, but in my experience, their customer services are full of manure.

So, all else being equal, I'd probably try Matika.

Ditto. Don't buy Ryobi whatever you do: IF you do manage to source any spares, they cost a fortune. As an example, the primer bulb on my ryobi brushcutter perished. You can't buy the bulb, only the whole assembly including the carburettor! £65 as opposed to £3.50 for the Stihl equivalent

See if AEG do a planer: I'm getting to be a big fan of their tools. Well designed, long lasting and sensible money.

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 13 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just ordered a Makita planer, I had a quick look for AEG but they either seemed very expensive or out of stock, whereas Makita was very expensive on their list prices but a bit of shopping around finds some much more sensible prices. Of course reading some reviews people start saying how much better the next model up is but at that point I'd be spending £200 on a planer which is the entry point for some planer thickenessers so going to that level seemed silly.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 13 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go far wrong with that. Let us know what you think once you've had a chance to play with it

Gervase

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 13 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Makita thicknesser and it's damned good - really robust, easily adjusted and consistent in operation. It's one of those bits of kit that becomes indispensable.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 16 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be in the market for a planer/thicknesser

First job would be to square off the (pre-treatment) offcuts from the recently woodworm treated dining table cherry. We've ended up with loads of stuff that I've cut down to around 410mm long which we'll be turning into 10 chopping boards (1 for each of our brothers and sisters).

Next job will be the timber for the table, currently boards are 100-300mm wide, 28mm thick and about 1.7mtrs long.

Space isn't an issue, so am I better with a lumpy (single phase) secondhand or something cheap and new?

e.g.
Used:
Elektra Beckum

Samco

AEG

New:
Record

Fox

mousjoos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 16 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Elektra Beckum

Spares are still available, although rumour has it EB became Ryobi, & then disappeared...same story with Elu, involving Dewalt &/or B&D

I have had this very same machine for 16 or so years now

Only thing I don't like is the infeed table micro adjust ie little grub screws...fiddly & not very accurate

Common fault is the pulley wheel wears & the belt slips off...very annoying...spares from Axminster, not too pricey

Depending on condition 350 on ebay (your link) is an okay price....maybe 450 - 475 tops

Always check when buying this type of machine secondhand, how flat & straight the tables are...ie if going to collect take a straight edge & lay it along the length of the machine, having first adjusted the tables to the same height...that is to say 0 millimetres
Look at the general wear & tear...if it looks like it's been used as a workbench then think twice

Hope this helps

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 16 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always mj

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 16 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e b make/made very good kit,as mousjoos recons spares are available it should last for ages

the light duty ones are often a bit wobbly and often far noisier than pro ones.

moving the thing will be a bit of a task and probably best with it strapped into a van rather than in a car boot

if i was wanting a cheap but effective smallish one with a 2 yr gnt i might have a go with erbauer .

i have several of their machines which seem to do very well for the price however the eb one can cut a wider plank and if in good nick is a far better machine and even with transport time/money on top of the 350 is probably better value if you plan for long term use.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 16 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is hiring not a sensible option? Will you use it again after the table?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive