links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Help!! We want to move to Ireland
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 06 7:35 pm    Post subject: Help!! We want to move to Ireland Reply with quote

We made our first visit to Eire last week and fell in love with it - both the country and the people. As we are retiring in a year ( I hope) or two, we would love to buy a smallhoding over there - somewhere in West Cork. Has anyone come across a guide to doing this, you know - "A complete idiots guide to moving to Ireland" type of thing, or any websites with the same kind of information?

Mike

mayhem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 06 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
funnily enough my wife and I have been contemplating doin the same. Also to Cork. I have been offered a job over there by my employer.

A good site is;

www.oasis.gov.ie

It is good for all the financial aspect plus some good links for hose moving etc.

A good property site is;

www.draft.ie

Good luck.

Mayhem

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 06 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mayhem, we'll give them a try. G'luck with your own dreams.

Mike

@Calli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiots move here without any trouble at all!!!!!
We have been here 5 yrs and would never go back, this is home now.
Propertyfile.net and propertypartners.ie best estate agents oh and remax....

Quite a few ex stud farms wil be appearing on market next few years - various tax incentives being removed

Can strongly recommend rent first to be sure of the area, we started in Kerry and made our way to Galway - can't beat Galway!!!

Camile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The west is the best ! especially Galway !

No hassle whatsoever to move to Ireland ... we moved here more than 6 years ago ... and still lovin' it ...

The website for houses is www.daft.ie (not draft) ... and is a good one.

And as mentionned allready, Oasis would give you all the infos regarding moving here (ie paperwork, taxes and so on).

Good luck !
Camile

@Calli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS NO COUNCIL TAX

Róisín

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on over - I'll put the kettle on...

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which bits of Ireland are cheaper to buy at the moment?

Róisín

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article in the paper about this a few weeks ago. On bare money, Dublin is always the most expensive place to buy and live. But on income-ratios-type-calculations, Galway is the most expensive. You can get a three-bedroom house from around €200,000 - I would say that is the average, that then goes up depending on location and facilities etc. There is stamp duty which is dependant on whether the house is new or secondhand and on how much it costs. People are always b*tching about it. I'm not a home owner but the above is what I've gauged from more organised friends who are

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExilesinGalway wrote:
Idiots move here without any trouble at all!!!!!
We have been here 5 yrs and would never go back, this is home now.
Propertyfile.net and propertypartners.ie best estate agents oh and remax....

Quite a few ex stud farms wil be appearing on market next few years - various tax incentives being removed

Can strongly recommend rent first to be sure of the area, we started in Kerry and made our way to Galway - can't beat Galway!!!

Thanks for the websites and your first comment - it should suit me down to the ground, then. Your comment about renting is interesting, we never thought of that. The trouble with that is as soon as we have got the 'blessed plot of earth' we would want to get really stuck in with hard landscaping, deep beds, greenhouses and polytunnels, not to mention wind generator, solar thermal etc and it is not easy to do with someone elses land.

What is Galway like for growing fruit and veg?

Mike

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Róisín wrote:
Come on over - I'll put the kettle on...

I'll hold you to that promise

Mike

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Róisín wrote:
I read an article in the paper about this a few weeks ago. On bare money, Dublin is always the most expensive place to buy and live.

You are not kidding! I was reading one of the Irish papers last week that had a special section on Dublin properties. One of then was an unremarkable 3 bed semi for 1.8 million Euros! Proof that the world is completely insane. Wouldn't want to live there anyway.
Mike

@Calli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galway climate is mild and wet like the rest of Ireland!! I adore the people here and the ability to live where I cannot see another house from our place and yet be in Portumna in minutes - 4 miles. We have too many tomatoes, courgettes(no surprises there) chillis, dwarf and runner beans.... etc etc. Animals thriving and all this since May this yr. No house just mobile homes but it took us 18 months to find the right place. I mentioned renting because we made a false start - bought an idyllic property on what to us was a quiet back road in the country.....Not so when we lived there a time!!!! It is expensive and stressful moving so it makes sense to get it totally right for the sake of 6 months. I say this also because if you are looking for land it is often sold without ever hitting thre market...Estate Agents are......well what can I say not over helpful?
It is still by far the best move we made the lifestyle is easier and better for us iin the countryside.
Callie

Any help I can give just pm me. Can send you samples from local papers to get idea of whats available

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Cork is great. I lived in Eire for a while, having visited frequently before that, then took a 3-month sabbatical to see whether I liked it enough to move there. Then moved over, still renting (County Cork, but not right out west).

Ended up moving back to England, but that was in the days when I felt I ought to be pursuing a career, and time in Eire was a good break (did organic market gardening, and IT-ish consultancy, neither of which at the time seemed like things I wanted to do permanently).

@Calli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 06 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pps sitefinder.ie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive