Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Home Weather Station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 18 8:22 pm    Post subject: Home Weather Station Reply with quote

My birthday present weather station is, with thanks to Himself, my IT guy, close to ready for its permanent installation on the roof (subject to improvement in temperature and humidity.)

As you can see the attached image of the remote unit's screen (mounted in my study and easy to see with a swivel of my chair) "awoke" with an April date and incorrect time. That has been updated to current date / time.

As you can also see, the sensor unit is currently mounted on a post on the deck. This is recommended to ascertain that all is working correctly before setting it up in its permanent location.

Interestingly, the readings for temperature / humidity of the fascinating alien unit and those of the pre-existing simplistic unit by the front door do not come even close. The IT guy's theory is that the masonry (house brick facade, concrete stoop, concrete front walk) shove the temperature up and humidity down when compared to the back lawn's grass.

The unit offers extremely sensitive rainfall readings - for Wednesday evening's puny drizzle (we need more rain) it recorded .01 inches. Wind speed and direction. Barometric pressure. Others. About the only thing it does not measure is snowfall.

Once everything is established and the IT guy has climbed on the roof and mounted it I will register as a weather station with the Weather Underground and Ambient Weather. Which means a wifi connection will be established and y'all can look online to find out our weather. Which has been stinking hot (in the 90s Fahrenheit) and humid (up to 99%.)

Oh, another great feature - there will be no need to periodically climb up on the roof and change batteries because the sensing unit has its own little solar panel. How clever is that!

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 18 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, and fascinating. I'd quite like to have something similar, but I wonder what it would have made of the farmer's irrigation this morning? About an hour of intermittent short, heavy showers. Made everybody jump once they started hitting the vans, though us humans had watched them getting closer and closer, arching over the high hedge!

Henry

PS My wristwatch agrees with the local weather station on the barometric pressure (though they argue about the units), but the descriptions don't always agree with personal observation!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 18 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not something on my wish list, Buzzy. But very nice of our two children, their spouses, and all their children (well, at least the grandchildren's names + one's spouse are on the gift enclosure) to send it to me.

We have a by comparison rather simplistic unit that offers current temperature and humidity, and can - the the push of a button - show high / low temperature since it reset itself at midnight. There's a rain gauge on the back deck - a simple tube with gradations marked on it. Himself had made a snow gauge which is put away for the nonce.

This all-singing, all-dancing, quite elaborate unit will be quite interesting. Once I familiarize myself with it.

Edited to mention that any farmer who can irrigate his field and at the same time spray the unit once mounted on the roof two stories up has surely got some fantastic pressure on his system.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 18 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting Jam Lady. The difference could well be the effect of site. I know that the heat from the back of the house in sunny weather could dry my washing that was close by in about an hour at our old house.

Weather stations have changed a bit. It all used to be checked by hand on a daily basis with various instruments in a louvred, white painted box on stilts and a rain gauge next to it.

Thank goodness it is slightly lower temperature here and far lower humidity.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to my Weather Undergound station site

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nj/everittstown/KNJFRENC9

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty comprehensive. Is that your local weather station?

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, yes , it is Jam Lady's local weather station - it's the one on her roof. Can't get more local than that!

Henry

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy has it right.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gives very comprehensive information then. It is in the right place now I see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive