Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Homemade hatchet aka scrapchet

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 21 9:09 pm    Post subject: Homemade hatchet aka scrapchet Reply with quote

Here is a little hatchet . Its fabricated up from mild steel with an en9 carbon steel cutting edge welded on. The handle is from a a wind blown ash tree harvested from a local wood i fitted a ferro rod fire lighter into the handle and made the leather mask.
Its been equal to any job ive given it and with its thin broad blade its ideal for carving.
This is the first one i made ive made a few since and have refined them somewhat.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaryBbeDkQ8

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 21 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good. Good idea to have the firelighter steel in the back.

I have a very small Gransfors, but they don't make them any more as they were so difficult. The head is a nice size to fit in my hand so that I can use very small strokes if I need to. My carving is mainly restricted to spoons, so I want something for small stuff. What do you carve?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 21 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice small bush craft hatchet, or whatever you need one for
shave a feather stick, light the fire, build a "house" and prep dinner
make a plate and chopsticks to eat it

with a tool like that i would probably emerge from the forest eventually

the, mini in this example, dane axe style of fabricating soft to make the eye and mass with a hard edge welded in(did you forge weld it?)is a classic pattern because it works

i re fettled my hatchet last year , the leather work was beyond my skills but SIL is ace at that even if he is a lawyer, there is a photo somewhere on ds
making a good one is quite a skill set

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 21 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosy

handles and other axe related supplies

as you see my choice is a bit longer, but it does weigh the same as my nowill SF machete or the big kukri

all have their uses but are better in different environments

magnet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 21 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The en9 for the edge is arc welded on. I tack it in place with an open root weld it from one side with a copper backing bar thoroughly clean and deslag the weld then weld from the other side. I then heat the whole in the forge and harden in oil. Then its ground back and carefully tempered back in the forge.
If done carefully it makes a good resiliant tool. Of all that ive made non as far as i know have failed.
I have since made drawknives and chisels in the same way that perform really well its a good technique with basic tools that works. Im lucky however because most of my materials come out of the sctap at work.

magnet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 21 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
That looks good. Good idea to have the firelighter steel in the back.

I have a very small Gransfors, but they don't make them any more as they were so difficult. The head is a nice size to fit in my hand so that I can use very small strokes if I need to. My carving is mainly restricted to spoons, so I want something for small stuff. What do you carve?

Yes i like a light tool for carving i can hold close to the head for delicate cuts and the lightness means its not tiring when needing to do heavier cuts.
I carve spoons and lately ive done a couple of coracle paddles and at the moment ive used my scrapchet for roughing out a yew selfbow which its managed no problem.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 21 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. My son has just made an axe sheath, as he is into leatherwork as well as green wood turning. A short video he made of it; https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=346499810288242&notif_id=1628196964542062&notif_t=watch_follower_video&ref=notif

Sorry it is that format, but easiest way for me to put it up.

magnet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 21 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Sounds good. My son has just made an axe sheath, as he is into leatherwork as well as green wood turning. A short video he made of it; https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=346499810288242&notif_id=1628196964542062&notif_t=watch_follower_video&ref=notif

Sorry it is that format, but easiest way for me to put it up.
What a lovely job he's made of that. It looks like good quality leather it'll last a lifetime.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 21 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good quality. He likes to make things properly and out of good leather so they last. He made me a really nice sheath for a Swiss army knife so I can keep it on my belt, and gave me the sheath and knife for my birthday. He has also made a pouch for a folding pruning saw to go on the belt. Useful working in the woods so you don't have to keep putting it down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive