Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How do you identify lead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 05 12:08 pm    Post subject: How do you identify lead? Reply with quote

I know lead is gradually being banned in all sorts of things but I was wondering how you test for it? I have some 'lead' shot for fishing and I expect it to be lead free but is there an easy DIY way of finding out?

tawny owl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 05 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can buy tests for lead paint, but no idea whether that would work for shot.

There's probably some sort of density test with water you could do.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 05 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead will quicky grow a white bloom if you expose it to vinegar fumes in a sealed jar- what you get is white lead/ceruse

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 05 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get some non lead split shot from the local fishing shop and ask about what you have so far as to if it is ok and non lead , if it is not dont use it , lead shot is mistaken for grit by birds and it dissolves rapidly when eaten poisoning the wee critters . large lead weights 30g plus are fairly safe so long as they dont hit you or the wildlife ,or passers by. the big lumps are really sea tackle. non lead shot is cheap , available ,ethical and it works.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 05 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead writes on paper is the other answer . safe shot wont , same goes for gun shot

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 05 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka! Archimedes, 11.34 gm/cc...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 05 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lead shot was in a new fishing tackle box but it contains stuff for sea and fresh water, it says 'meets current standards' on the box. It has lead leads, I assume for sea fishing, and split shot that doesn't look like lead but is painted so hard to tell. I don't think there's enough to try water displacement.

I would never use real lead shot for fishing. I assume it's illegal but what about the sizable lead weights? Should I remove them from the box unless sea fishing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive