About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ivy

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 16 4:13 pm    Post subject: Ivy Reply with quote

Does anyone ever have problems with ivy honey in your hives? I've spoken to a few bee keepers over the year who tell me ivy honey can be a problem as it goes solid and bees can have problems using it in the depths of winter.

What happens to any honey that's not used up over winter, does it ever cause a problem filling brood space in the spring?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 16 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was regarded as a good thing as it gave a late crop. Ours is flowering like anything at the moment. Husband doesn't think it is a problem as they can always always get water from condensation in the hive. The main problem is that some may still be there in the spring, and it does taste very strong, so not a good crop to take off. It does take most bees through the winter, and he doesn't think it is a problem at all.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 16 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MR, I agree about the taste and our colonies smell strongly of ivy as well, they're still feasting on it this weekend.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 16 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should help them get through the winter. Always a good thing for them to have good stores to help them through and to start on the build up again in the spring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive