links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Khaki Campbells
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 8:33 pm    Post subject: Khaki Campbells Reply with quote

The house and enclosure are very nearly ready, so I'm looking for two Khaki Cambell ducks. They must be layers as we want them for eggs.

Anyone breeding them? Any reccomendations, we're near cambridge so east anglia and east midlands area would be ideal.

Also a little question that has been bothering me.... How are we going to get them home? What sort of travel container would be suitable. I thought of a large cardboard box with holes in. Would that do, or again, recomendations would be welcome.

Thanks
Beth

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of containers have you got. We have used boxes, with holes, but not all breeders will let them go in these, so it is best to check. What about a cat/dog carrier, people use when going to the vets.

We use a poultry crate now and they can be hosed out easily, but this isn't very practical for only two, for price.

beth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 04 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alison, we'll check with the breeder.
Beth

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 04 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a laundry basket before...the plastic type with a towel inside...and as a cover. Handy for the vets.... Hubs drives, I sit with this on my knee!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 04 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about breeders.

When my dad picked up the last lot of rescue hens they were restricting the numbers in cages, or boxes a lot, due to the stress the birds had been in. Some people were turned awasy to get better carrying boxes. One person turned up with a sack. They were turned away completely!

beth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 04 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would one of these be big enough for a couple of ducks?

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsDetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=1811

Beth

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 04 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

We have the 6001, 2 I think and some homemade mesh crates. I would think it would hold about 6 ducks.

beth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 04 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bril! We'll get one ordered.

Thanks,
Beth

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 04 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other great thing about these crates is they are easy to clean with a hose, and not much effort.

A car tip, is to have a tarporline underneath!!!

beth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 04 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone know someone who will sell us a couple of Khaki Campbells ducks, anywhere in the country!?

We phone round just before christmas: a guy in kent had some that were 1.5 months old and were soon ready for the outside world. But according to Paul he didn't sound like he really wanted to sell any. (why do people advertise then?).
Another one offered us 3 ducks + a drake. And another offered us 2 + 1 drake. But the plot we have we wouldn't really be happy with more than two. We phoned a place advertising Chiltern White, which are supposedly even better layers, but they only sell day-olds in batches of 50.
So we're in a bit of a quandry, we could take the 2 or 3 + drake and try to find a home for the drake. But it doesn't sound like the Right Thing To Do to me.

Thoughts would be welcome?
Beth

falling on a bruise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 04 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking in

www.adtrader.co.uk

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 04 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambells are quite difficult to come by at any time of the year, in my experience. My last duck came form chickenlady on RC forum - Grqacie, lays every day. I have two older ones as well, Vita and Margery, but they no longer lay; they must be about 6 now I think.
I will be getting some more next year; there is a woman at Hindon who breeds them, but they won't be ready until quite a bit later in the year. If you buy them young they can be quite expensive; if you wait until autumn, the price comes down quite a bit.

beth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 04 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falling on a bruise wrote:

www.adtrader.co.uk

Kewl. The top hit there had Khaki Campbells and was just down the road from us. But a fox got them christmass eve.

But he told us of another breeder we'll phone in the morning who has some... but is moving to norfolk over christmas but who's website says they will be open for business between christmas and ney year. So fingers crossed.

This sounds like the trailer for Soap...
Beth

DarrenG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 04 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited by myself as treac thinks I talk utter crap when replying

Last edited by DarrenG on Wed Dec 29, 04 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

beth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 04 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YESSSSSS! At last two KC's are currently tucked up in their house. Had a little bit of fun taking them out of the box and putting them in the house. One escaped from Paul's hands but we quickly got her into the enclosure. So we let the other one out into the enclosure as well. Gave them fresh water and after a little drink they used it to clean themselves. Oh well, they'll have a full baby bath tomorrow.

Didn't take much to get them to waddle up the ramp into their house.
So far so good!

Beth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive