Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Laptop batteries, when to buy authentic

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 12:58 pm    Post subject: Laptop batteries, when to buy authentic Reply with quote

I've got a Lenovo thinkpad E530, but I think this question is fairly applicable to any newer laptop....

Anyhoo, as this machine ages, the battery has been losing its charge longevity. I see some very expensive replacement batteries, and some very affordable replacement batteries.

I know that there is some difference in actual Li-ion cell construction, and that cheap batteries will give you what you pay for, but are the full-price official OEM batteries necessary?

I've also seen that some models will reject replacement batteries that don't have some "official replacement part" doo-hickey that tells the laptop its okay. A concern?

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read horrible tales on the interweb about substandard batteries exploding in flames. Whilst they may just be tales, I'd really rather not take the risk.

Do you put El Cheapo Cheapo tyres on your car?

Henry

Slim

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy wrote:

Do you put El Cheapo Cheapo tyres on your car?

The harder rubber tends to wear more slowly, and therefore last longer!

Studded winter tires are expensive enough, and take care of my traction in the worst weather. I could ride on slicks for the summer in comparison!

(But your point is well taken )

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly useful, possibly not. If you mainly use your laptop plugged into the mains you can change the battery management accordingly. It'll only charge to 80% but the battery life will be greatly extended and you can always change it back if you're going mobile for a while.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Possibly useful, possibly not. If you mainly use your laptop plugged into the mains you can change the battery management accordingly. It'll only charge to 80% but the battery life will be greatly extended and you can always change it back if you're going mobile for a while.

That sounds like something I should have done 5 years ago....

Shane

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 18 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery on my lappy died some time back and the OEM battery is no longer available so, after a fair amount of reading, I went for a NinjaBatt replacement. It's been in place for a few months now and a) it's not exploded, and b) I've not noticed any difference in performance from the OEM battery (before it died, of course).

You do need to be picky with non-OEM, though (if there was an emoticon for an explosion I'd insert it here).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive