Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Lawnmower recommendations?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 07 7:53 pm    Post subject: Lawnmower recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm likely to move to a place with a much larger lawn than I have at present. I'll only be about .2 acre of which perhaps half would be lawn (about 400 m2). So still not huge but too much for me and my push mower to handle so I guess I'll have to buy a powered mower. Any suggestions ... ?

My preference is for a cylinder mower but the electric versions always seem too lightweight to last very long and the petrol versions starts at about £400 !

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 07 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep? Not sure on a mower but if you can wait until the end of the summer season many places sell their mowers off cheap.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of cheap petrol ones about nowadays:

https://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/4_Wheel_Rotary.html

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawnmower recommendations? Reply with quote

JB wrote:
... My preference is for a cylinder mower but the electric versions always seem too lightweight to last very long and the petrol versions starts at about £400 !

Cylinder mowers are ideal for cricket wickets, golf greens, smooth surfaces and *fine* grasses.
Ordinary grasses are probably better cut with a rotary.
A rotary can cut long & coarse stuff (and the fine stuff too) - but a cylinder is for good stuff *only*.

If you are wanting stripes, you need a roller on the mower.
There *are* rotary mowers with rear roller rather than 4 wheels.
But they aren't that common.
https://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/Rear_Roller_Rotary.html
If you aren't trying for pronounced stripes, then a 4 wheeler is better able to deal with an uneven surface than one with a roller.
I went into this recently... for my brother.

One such model family is the Hayter Harrier.
Its an upmarket machine (Royal warrant) that seems to be a special favourite of jobbing gardeners. Consequently it seems to be a machine where used examples have mostly had a lot of use, but its a machine that can take a lot of use much better than most.
Pay extra for the larger sizes, self-propelled ("autodrive") and the electric start option.
On eBay I found a decent condition 16 inch ("41" - the smallest model) with autodrive, but no electric start, a Briggs & Stratton engine, and complete with a good grass bag, in easy collection range. Think it ended up very close to £130 - which I believe is slightly below the going rate but not an outrageous bargain. Something rather beyond £500 new.
So far, Brother is quite delighted. Starts easily, really simple one handed height adjustment, and clear stripes on his lawn. Best of all (for him), is that his neighbour recognised what it was and expressed the aspiration to have "one of them"...
Service manuals are on Hayter's website. (nice) Small machine, powerful engine.
There is an older Harrier model, with a single stick handle - that's not what I'm on about. (And loads and loads of other Hayters...)

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda's are supposed to be the best built/most reliable

Green Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is price you are most concerned about, I saw a petrol rotary for £89 last week in B+Q. I have no idea which are the best for the environment. If it were me, I would let most of it grow as a wild flower/grass patch with mown paths and edges to give it a kemp look. I would scythe it late summer after wild flower seeds have dropped. This gives you an excellent place to grow snowdrops, snowflakes, narcissus, and Snake Head Fritillaries as well as seeded flowers.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
If it is price you are most concerned about, I saw a petrol rotary for £89 last week in B+Q. I have no idea which are the best for the environment. If it were me, I would let most of it grow as a wild flower/grass patch with mown paths and edges to give it a kemp look. I would scythe it late summer after wild flower seeds have dropped. This gives you an excellent place to grow snowdrops, snowflakes, narcissus, and Snake Head Fritillaries as well as seeded flowers.

the way forward
or keep cavies ,or larger critters

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 07 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Honda's are supposed to be the best built/most reliable

While I have the greatest respect for Honda (particularly their engines and motorcycles), IMHO that Harrier is built to last longer... certainly longer than the Honda IZY that I'll be using this evening.
There's a great amount of *practicality* to the Hayter, like the friction coupling to prevent the shock of the blade accidentally striking solid ground damaging a directly coupled engine running at a few thousand rpm.
Seemed like good simple agricultural-inspired engineering translated to the garden.
There's an outwardly similar (lighter) aluminium framed model (Hayter Spirit) that is much cheaper.

While scythes and sheep are clearly more sustainable, they are a pretty difficult 'sell' to someone that was looking for a *cylinder* mower.

The amount of fuel used by a motor mower in its lifetime is going to be fairly trivial compared to the energy invested in the manufacture (and maybe even the delivery) of the machine.
Hence, IMHO, if looking for a machine to do the job, it makes a great deal of sense to select one not just on the basis of features and performance, but with at least one eye on durability and maintainability.
Hayter publish (free pdf download) their service manuals.
Lordy, do I wish Honda did!
And apart from their performance engineering, the other thing Honda are famous for is astronomical spare part pricing...

Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Hayter here, I'm afraid. Not necessarily the cheapest to purchase initially, but ours will tackle anything at all. From the longest patches of ... erm ... "wildflower meadow" to keeping the "lawn" neat. Gives pretty good stripes too - even without a roller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive