Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Living and travelling in a caravan
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:13 am    Post subject: Living and travelling in a caravan Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I love reading this forum but unfortunately have been mainly a lurker as I rarely have any advice I can give to fellow posters , and now I could do with some help please.

For the last few years I’ve been increasing questioning what the point of life is and what I really want out of it. So I decided to go to university full time (since Sept 09) aged 41 to study Environmental Management BSc. This was because I feel it’s the only way I can compete in the job market in the areas I’m interested in. However, much as I’m enjoying it I still can’t help thinking that all that will happen is that I’ll end up in a more enjoyable job (if I can find one), but still part of the rat-race. I will do my degree but then I can see I’d have to make a decision as to what direction to take; be “Miss still mortgaged and average” or “Miss off-grid and alternative lifestyle”. I want to escape the mortgage/rental life where I need a relatively high income just to keep a roof over my head. It’s like being a slave to the system and I’m not happy!

A friend lives in a caravan on a farm and I’ve been really inspired to do something similar. However, although in theory I think I’d love it I have so many concerns it’s not true, mainly due to being single, so no back-up/help from a partner, and having no experience apart from a few camping trips (camp site stuff) and a survival course. Not knowing any land owners doesn’t help much either, although I do own a small wood so it’s a start. But also because I reckon that once I leave the “cosy safe system” we live in it would be harder going back as I’d then have “weird lady living an alternative lifestyle/job gap/no fixed address” on my CV. But I keep being drawn back to the dream of a simple life, where I have very few outgoings so can afford to work a day here and there in satisfying but low paid work (animal sanctuaries for example), and spend the rest of my time playing on my spinning wheel and doing voluntary work. I love the Towavardo wagons and could see myself in one of those with my dog: https://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/wagons.htm Am I living in la-la land or could I realise my dream?

I still need to weigh up income versus outgoings. If I’m really lucky I could manage off the interest on my savings, but I rather like the idea of doing a days work here and there to supplement it regardless. I’d hope that outgoings would be mainly keeping a car on the road so I’m mobile, rent of a piece of land if applicable, and day to day living expenses such as food, toiletries, wood, and running repairs.

Another idea I’ve got is to do some WWOOFing or light seasonal farm work provided I could park my wagon and they’d be OK with my dog on site (I can see the dog not being allowed on farms that have livestock though so that could be a problem).

I expect my Mum wouldn’t mind my post being sent to her, but what are the implications of not having a fixed address? What about doctors and dentists?

Anyway, my main concerns are emotional rather than practical, and I’d really love to hear how other people (especially single females) have got into off-grid living and how they manage practically, emotionally and financially. I have lots of other questions about siting a wagon but I’ll shut up for now. If anyone can point me in the direction of info or can share any of their own experiences I’d be so grateful.
Thanks.

Beth.

Last edited by Cobnut on Sun Jan 10, 10 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out www.helpx.net as well for long stay volunteering.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beth,
Got no immediate advice re the living practalities, but if you registered as self employed, even if you don't earn anything of note, you'll still be on the 'system' as having been working, which might be useful if you find you need to go back into mainstream work at any point.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest a motor caravan rather than a caravan? Look at this websites

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/

https://www.campervanlife.com/locations/europe/full-time-in-europe

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-36.html

Not that we've been looking at doing this, oh no......

This way, you can go where the work is, if needed. Drop in on people if you want to.

Oh and Hymer's are the best motorhomes to have

Cobnut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:
check out www.helpx.net as well for long stay volunteering.

Wow! Thanks, I’d not heard of that organisation, and there are loads of entries in the UK

sally_in_wales wrote:
Hi Beth,
Got no immediate advice re the living practalities, but if you registered as self employed, even if you don't earn anything of note, you'll still be on the 'system' as having been working, which might be useful if you find you need to go back into mainstream work at any point.

Thanks Sally, good idea. Our culture is so geared to being on the system that I can imagine things could get rather messy to opt out and try and “return”

Penny wrote:
Can I suggest a motor caravan rather than a caravan? Look at this websites

Thanks Penny. I’ll have a look at those sites later…I’m supposed to be writing an essay at the moment but am rather distracted by my daydreaming

Brownbear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an old coach and do it up as a home. It's easy to do as normal-size furniture will fit in to it.

And don't worry about not having an Other Half - chances are you'd spend all your time arguing about whether or not to live in a caravan/bus. In a project like this, you're better on your own.

What a lovely adventure.

Cobnut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
Buy an old coach and do it up as a home. It's easy to do as normal-size furniture will fit in to it.

...What a lovely adventure.

Glad you don't think my plan is total nonsense
If I wasn’t such as wuss and scared to drive anything that big it would be great; I so admire people who live in converted coaches, horseboxes, buses etc, and as you say, you can get standard sized furniture in there. The size of vehicles is a big consideration though unfortunately as I’ve only driven a small car (even a lot of 4x4s are big to me, LOL) but I may be able to get my head around it.

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Hymer with a drop down bed. Making and remaking up a bed is a pain.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:

Absolutely, they are huge too

Brownbear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
Bulgarianlily wrote:

Absolutely, they are huge too

And insanely expensive, both to buy and to repair.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
And insanely expensive, both to buy and to repair.

Sadly, you're absolutely right BB.

I'm sure we had a thread about caravan living around here somewhere. Could anyone find it please? We lived in a static caravan for almost 2 years and although it's fine when the weather is good and you can live outside, it's bloody miserable in the winter I have to say.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't JohnB been living in a camper van for a couple of years?

I would love to do it; it was only the outraged wails from you lot and my mother that stopped me last year with the newborn baby

Brownbear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get this one, or one like it.

The good old Leyland Tiger.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I would love to do it; it was only the outraged wails from you lot and my mother that stopped me last year with the newborn baby

Go on - blame us lot (Didn't I *shout* at you in the thread? )

Jo S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmm

I've always fancied the thought of toddling off in a gypsy caravan or something similar...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive