Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Living in Woodland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 3:13 pm    Post subject: Living in Woodland Reply with quote

Is it possible (in a legal sense) to live in woodland? I've noticed that a few acres of woodland can be very cheap. I guess that if you own woodland you're not allowed to live in it, whether it be a caravan or timber lodge. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Thanks,
Brica

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly then generally the principle is that if you do own woodland then without planning permission you couldn't construct anything to live in and could only camp there for a limited time each year.

OTOH I'm sure someone will be along in a moment with more accurate information.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience of living in a wood but having looked into buying woodland and having a general interest here are a few comments.

Any patch of land may have covenants added by previous owners that can restrict what you do regardless of planning laws.

Building any permanent structure to live in will require planning permission and if the woodland is cheap to buy I would think it's very unlikely to be granted otherwise it would be much more expensive. Living in temporary structures is different and you may be able to do this but may have to move round.

If you work the woodland you may have a chance at gaining planning permission but even someone like Ben Law has taken ages to get his permission after living and working in his woodland for many years. Even now he will have to demolish his house if he moves.

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that woodland often has restrictive covenants on it about what you can and can't do.

These people www.stewardwood.org/home.htm live in a wood.

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Judy of the Woods live in, well, in the woods? I've got some woodland on my land, but the only things living in it are my pigs.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Living in Woodland Reply with quote

brica wrote:
Is it possible (in a legal sense) to live in woodland? I've noticed that a few acres of woodland can be very cheap.

Cheap is it? This would be a good idea- if people would buy an area of woodland & 'donate' it to some poor smallholder with no woodland for their pigs

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Doesn't Judy of the Woods live in, well, in the woods?

She does. Or maybe did... where has she gone?

I wanted to check her website, because there was something about her having, after a struggle, eventually gained council acceptance for her presence in her own woodland, and I had rather gathered that it was rather along the lines of Ben Law's arrangement. (Though hasn't he got a better arrangement now - I'm sure he was speaking on the 'revisit' about leaving it to his son?)

However, her site is down and she hasn't posted here since August.

Come back, Judy - please!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the legal issues are complex ,living part time in your wood while you manage it is often ok but 365 is subject to planning etc . in practice keeping in with the locals is probably the most important thing. get good legal advice from a speciallist before purchase . every patch is different ,i know good stories and sad ones please be sure you can use the wood in the way you wish before you buy. good luck .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive