Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mackerel Season Again

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mackerel Season Again Reply with quote

Caught the first ones on the 8th of July. Hopefully the weather is good this coming weekend because I have a good feeling about the mackerel.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they might not feel the same about you

tight lines

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of lines, I plan to trial my new 'hand reel' for trawling mackerel feathers. I have converted a 3:1 geared electric fence reel. I will let you know the outcome!

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a good bit of kit for a long line with a sting in the tail.

i spose the tail bit might be a bit snaggy if the stings have to get wound on to get to the last fish

if the line goes high before it gets wet it would be possible to remove / replace the stings from or onto the line rather than rolling them up

with a few well placed swivels on the line and clips on several sets of traces to attach them via the swivels you can be unhooking while waiting and have maximum catch time and fewer tangles.

i do a similar thing with baited hooks and a rod/reel in a target rich environment , ie the next baited hooks are in the water before i unhook and rebait the ones coming out and iirc so do commercial long line fishers when using lures or bait.

a boat rod attached to the side with a ring and cup would be ideal to give enough length to take a trace off the running line and gives the option of playing a bigun that is hunting caught mackerel should you get lucky.

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't worry, I have a rod and reel too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive