About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mackerel watch 2011
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 5:55 pm    Post subject: Mackerel watch 2011 Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit early in the year but I notice the recent warm weather has meant people have started to land mackerel in Sussex. Anyone seen them yet this year?

Dabinett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not personally but I read/post on various fishing forums.

They have been coming in from brighton marina for about 2 weeks now. Brighton always seems to get them first for some reason. I would have thought the south west would be first, but always seems to be brighton.

Chesil beach (dorset) has also had a few come in, but not in any numbers (although it was last week that I read that, so maybe after the hot weekend the numbers have picked up).

The start of the season always seems to produce individual, bigger fish rather than the large shoals.

It's only a matter of time now, can't wait.

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None round here yet

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moniar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 11 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing out of Aberaeron yet, just small coalies. They are getting them down in Cornwall so should be up here in another few weeks

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 11 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend got 6 off the south pembrokeshire coast last night (in a kayak). I got none. . Had to search high and low for them tho, they weren't in all the usual places and 6 he got were all in one go. Couldn't find them again after that.

Still early yet, but they're on the way!

Last edited by Northern Boy on Fri Apr 22, 11 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Moniar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 11 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:
My friend got 6 off the south pembrokeshire coast last night (in a kayak). I got none. . Hard to search high and low for them tho, they weren't in all the usual places and 6 he got were all in one go. Couldn't find them again after that.

Still early yet, but they're on the way!

Good to hear that - will be out on the kayk again over the next few days so hope they travel north soon

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone caught anything recently? I drew a blank a few weeks back and didn't notice anyone else land anything but as it's going to warm up this week it should be worth a go next weekend?

SandraR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (son) caught a few mackerel, a couple of weeks ago off Torcross - not sure of dates- but they are definately about.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of mackerel off SW Wales now, had loads off a charter yesterday. Most were pretty small, only kept one for the table. Had plenty of other tasty fish to keep me occupied.

Edited to address an anonymous complaint that the fish I posted a pic of was 'undersized'. I assume this refers to the bass which was measured on the boat and well in excess of the mls of 37.5 cm.

Jacqui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 11 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weather forecast for this weekend - if the weather people don't change their minds. The other half will be on the '4th of July' chugging out of Aberaeron harbour on the morning tide trying to catch the supper.... I'm not holding my breath.

Colin & Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 11 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dover and surrounding beaches had so many a couple of weeks ago you could nearly walk to France on the top of them. A friend popped to the Admiralty pier to catch a few and a party of eastern Europeans were leaving with over 1000. By all accounts they were not unique and other parties were coming off with similar amounts.

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin

crofter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 11 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin & Jan wrote:

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin

They are moving north. Spinner is your best bet. Won't arrive here until August.

Leave a few for us to catch, as the Icelander said to the Scotsman...

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 11 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost count of the mackerel caught in a short session off the kayak yesterday, basking in the sun on the Gower coastline.

A lot of small ones in the mix, tho' still managed plenty of decent sized ones for the plancha plus a bunch for smoking this afternoon.

(Also had a couple of gurnard, a dab, a whiting and a dogfish - was a good session!)

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught 15 from the kayak today, no idea how long they have been up here but they are good sized.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive