Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Making a Rag Rug

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Making a Rag Rug Reply with quote

i've done a search but i can't seem to find anything about making rag rugs though i've seen it mentioned a few times in various posts. i tried this before but all i wound up with was a really long braid and when i tried to wind it up and sew it so it would stay in a circle i failed dismally.

i'd love some tips on this as we have quite a few items on their way to the rag bag right now and since i haven't managed to nab a bargain sewing machine yet i need something to keep me busy until i do!

moggins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to try this too, although I did find myself a bargain sewing machine today

mochyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look through various books on the subject, but as I remember the hardest part of braided rag rugs was keeping the circle flat, It's very easy to end up with a kind of cone-shaped rug: not too practical. I think the thing is to sew slowly and keep laying it out to make sure it's flat. Off to the library...

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need help on how to actually sew the bits together as well. i know you wrap it round and round so it gets bigger and bigger and yes i can see how you would wind up with a cone if you weren't careful but how do you stitch each 'row' together in the first place?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good site here:

https://www.netw.com/~rafter4/

Try a look in your library - they should ahve some books in there, or could get them for you.
Consider a peg loom for a rag rug as well, they're great fun, and the rugs grow really quickly.

Sarah D

farmwoody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of making 3 different types of rag rug for an article on my website! A peg loom, crocheted and proddy rug.
When I get the article completed (and the rugs) I'll let you all know.

I LOVE crafts, have made (and sold) just about every craft for 20 years now and I've finally got myself together enough to photograph and write down the processes.

Its great that so many more people are finally returning to trad crafts.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, do look forward to that Farmwoody, will your articles have instructions on? Do let us know once they're up.

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah: that's a smashing site. If you look down the left hand side there's links to all sorts of rugs, and it sounds like you're after braided rugs, Buttery, so look there. I seem to remember just joining in new strips as I went to make one long plait, bot sewing in but just sort of tucking ends in.

Looking forward to this article, though!

judith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a candidate for a group project in the coming months . I have some vile curtains that someone gave me that I think would make a great rug. I definitely need a nudge to get started - that and another 12 hours in each day!

farmwoody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the articles will all have step by step instructions plus photos (The site is being redesigned and the new site will include video footage!). I also give my honest opinion on the best/quickest methods etc.
I know its something everyone here already knows about but look at the butter making article to get an idea of my step by steps!

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks farmwoody, sounds like exactly what i need!

Jessevieve

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also look forward to seeing your step by step instructions Farmwoody. I bought a peg loom a few weeks ago and it's still sitting in the wrapping. I look at it each day but don't have a clue where to start or even what fabric to use? Guess I should get down to the charity shops and see if I can find some old sheets so that I can get started. What should I be using to thread through the little holes in each peg, does it have a special name or would something like fishing line work just as well?

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 05 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get smashing thread for warping a loom from Texere yarns in Yorkshire. www.texereyarns.co.uk

Have some fun with that! A lovely site, and they do a great catalogue.

I guess you could also use good string for the warp, a ntural fibre would be my choice, but I suppose anything strong would work. I was looking at some lovely rugs made on peg looms at the Smallholder Show yesterday, but the old chap's too busy making the duck run to make me a loom just now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive