links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mortice joints.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 21 9:05 pm    Post subject: Mortice joints. Reply with quote

Anyone used a mortiser? Any top tips? Just like a drill press, right, that makes square holes? Or am I missing something?

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot? Going into furniture now?

Never used one

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am an old style drill and chisel chap, workshop joiners seem to like them for speed and accuracy

never used one so cannot help with tips beyond read the instructions, watch some youtube vids and make the machine cut at the right speed, pressure and rate for the material and size/type of cutting tool

practice on scrap until you have an idea of the feel of the thing or you are sitting in A and E having not read the instructions
wood working machines are dangeroos

iiuc they are a combo of drill press and milling vice for a slot rather than a square hole so they are quite big and you need to take the work to it rather than it to the work

my mortise cutting is usually only for locks in doors on site, so i have not needed one, the joiners i used to use both had old industrial ones which got lots of workshop use

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps i am quite comfortable with many dangeroos things and ultra careful with wood working machines

for example when i see somebody on the telly cutting a half inch plank using a foot of open throat on a bandsaw i usually hope for the statistically inevitable to happen on camera as an example for those watching

if you can justify the cost as to vs take the bits to a bench joiner and get them to cut em and you have space for it seems a useful bit of woodwork kit

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Had a play yesterday with a drill and chisel/mallet combo. But I think I need to use a pillar drill for it to work well. And if I’m going to get one of those, I may as well get the right tool. If it’s not totally embarrassing, I may share

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mortice attachment for my drill press. Works ok but a bit fiddly and the clamping isn't great.

Basically it's a drill than runs inside a hollow square chisel. Mine works fine in softwood but I'd guess large mortices in hardwood would be more tricky.

I'd ensure any machine clamps your workpiece well, not just for drilling but pulling the chisel out of the mortice without lifting the wood.

I would think a mortice machine would be much safer than a mallet and chisel. You can get chain morticers if you fancy something a bit more meaty, and expensive.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 21 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I’ve seen chain mortisers. They can be hired. But they look terrifying.

Appreciate the general reassurance and tips tho.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you use a router instead? It would be a bit more fiddly but should do it.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mortiser. Not a mad chain one. More of a drill press style one. Works really well.

My router doesn't have the depth. I need to go in upto 100mm.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you making?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A porch.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 21 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a nerdy woodworking and miscellany youtube rabbithole, check out Matthias Wandel and his pantorouter.
My phone won't let me touch the ole at the end of this sentence, quite an odd error. ole

Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 21 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Couldn't you use a router instead? It would be a bit more fiddly but should do it.

The router works well to cut the tenons but the mortiser cuts the mortises. And it’s a beast. Working with oak is a joy. I went for 3 year dried, so not green, not kiln dried. It’s like steel to cut and to carry.

But it’s a joy to work. Joints, measured careful and cut slowly are sliding together. I’m about 2/3 done, and am simply pegging them together; no glue. I’ll silicon seal where panels join, the glazing and where it sits on the brick work, but otherwise nothing holding it together. I ache, I’ve got blood blisters and my bogies are made of saw dust, but I’m loving the project.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 21 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to consider a dusk mask..... I think sawdust can be a bit rough on the lungs long term

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive