Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New 6.5x55
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 08 5:51 pm    Post subject: New 6.5x55 Reply with quote

Went to get a new one last night, a TIKKA Lite, left it as it just felt a bit flimsy.

Anyone had experience of these or was it just a duff'un.

Also been offered a cheap mauser?

Its a new cal on my ticket so any advice, or anyone with one to move on let me know!

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 08 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any bolt actions, I have a 7x57 falling block Ruger no.1, but if I did I'd go for this https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/jagdwaffen/pro-hunter/

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 08 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I don't have any bolt actions, I have a 7x57 falling block Ruger no.1, but if I did I'd go for this https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/jagdwaffen/pro-hunter/

This is my main centrefire rifle. The problem with the Tikka is it's essentially a Sako that's been built down to a price, the plastic cap on the bolt usually lasts about a week, the bolt is loose in the reciever when cycling which can make it feel sticky. I don't like them at all.

If you want a visually appealing rifle, then you'd be better off gritting your teeth and shelling out for the Sako. I tried Sako, but preferred the Steyr for severa reasons.

1. The Mannox coating on the non-stainless version is more rustproof than stainless steel.

2. The plastic stock avoids problems with wood swelling and de-floating the barrel in the sort of lovely weather we get in the UK.

3. The most convincing reason - the safe bolt system. You can chamber a round, engage the safe bolt system and carry the charged rifle in perfect safety; the weapon wouldn't even discharge if you hit it with a hammer. You can't do that with any other rifle - you have to chamber a round within earshot of your quarry, which if it's deer on a still morning or evening will hear it and will be spooked.

Best centrefire rifle I've ever owned.

resistance is fertile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 08 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you say about the Tikka is as I found.

Given the safe bolt bit, I think Im off to look at some pro-hunters at the weekend!

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 08 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resistance is fertile wrote:

Given the safe bolt bit, I think Im off to look at some pro-hunters at the weekend!

You can have a go with mine if you like.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
resistance is fertile wrote:

You can have a go with mine if you like.

It was also one of two recommended rifles when I went on the DSC1 course earlier this year. The other was a Blaser which has an unusual bolt system which I didn't like much.

I hand loaded some ammunition (33.2 gns H4895 driving a 130gn target bullet) for my 7x57 and it's a lot less harsh than the factory ammo I bought (168gn expanding) cheaply for the brass. Going to try 120gn expanding next and sight in for 100 yds 2" high and then put it through some field tests.

I'm a bit miffed as I seem to have mislaid the top cap on my Leupold scope last night.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunting kit is as tricky as hunting game

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
hunting kit is as tricky as hunting game

It's also a time waster but an enjoyable one.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:

Any idea how much one would cost new?

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess around £1,200-£1,300. Second hand ones are around £500-£600.

BB will know better than I.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get one new for about £750-£800 I think, more if you want a sound moderator. For optics, personally, I'd recommend a Schmidt and Bender 8x56 Hungarian scope, and Warne mounts. I've tried all sorts, and that's the best combo I've come across. There's a firearms dealer/range at Moretonhampstead I'd recommend, he goes to the trouble to set the rifle up, takes you on the range to zero it etc.

I can get you the details if you're interested.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one. £885 inc. vat from https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk

Calibres: 222, .223, .260 .243, .308, .25-06, .30-06, .270, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, .376 Steyr

Much less than I thought.

Heavy barrel version £1,139 (.223, .260 .308 & 300win) so doesn't appear to be available in 6.5x55.

crofter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:

1. The Mannox coating on the non-stainless version is more rustproof than stainless steel.

So why make the stainless one at all? Is the coating permanent, or will it need redoing at some point?

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofter wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

So why make the stainless one at all? Is the coating permanent, or will it need redoing at some point?

I would suggest the Manno coating is less durable. As it's a coating it could be abraided off and revewal the steel underneath.

Manno is very, very tough and satisfies those who don't won't a bright sun glinting rifle on the deer shoot and yet has excellent corrosion and durability. Stainless steel, on the other hand is harder and more durable and if you scratch it you just have a scratch. However, it's not a good material for hunting with - too shiny - and there are no effective coatings which can be applied to stainless to reduce this. Hence the Manno coating is often preferable to stainless.

resistance is fertile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 08 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found a couple round here which seem reasonably priced, package deal with warne mounts and mod for 900ish.

BB, Is the mannox coat standard on all of the non stainless models?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive