Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
NuMonday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 20 4:28 pm    Post subject: NuMonday Reply with quote

Any makers on here use this?

It is touted as an alternative to Etsy for UK makers, no listing fees just £10 a month membership.
I think it has been going for at least two years, possibly a little more.
It has a website and FB page, for buying as well as selling.

I don't think I could cover the cost at present, it might be worth considering but feedback from other users would be interesting

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 20 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will ask gen M about it, SD a print maker/SIL does leather and silver

iirc they use etsy but might have expanded the "hobby" sales

both are quite good at such things

gz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 20 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At £10 per month, that would be 10% of retail sales of £100, add on PayPal's charge, if I remember right that is 3%.
If you can guarantee selling a minimum of £100 pm it could be worth it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 20 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were sure of sales in excess of £100 it wouldn't be worth it. We sell through our own web site, which we administer, so the costs on that are less, but perhaps don't reach all the right people. It seems to work well for some things but not others.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 20 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these days, your'e own site is problematic.
People tend to go to market places not individual sites.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 20 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some things that isn't our experience. We have orders for firewood, charcoal and besoms coming through our own site, but I must admit that things like leatherwork haven't been successful. Think it depends on the product.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 20 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gen M report

etsy and folksy are both good, have good "footfall", are easy to use with tutorials and advice, they actively promote stuff they think will sell.
they have per item and per month price plans which are good value.

big cartel is a cheap platform but you have to do far more work to get it to be effective, less "footfall"

hope that helps

gz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 20 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at both Etsy and folksy, Etsy looks better for straightforward selling. They have gone down in many peoples' opinion when they moved away from make it, sell it, to design it and get a company to make it for you.. .but it is fairly easy to put things on at 20 cents a posting which lasts 2 or 3 months.

Like eBay only more so, they are pushing for free postage, which is unrealistic.
For USA makers postage can vary depending on where they are sending within the USA, and for anyone it varies widely depending upon where in the world you sell to.

Parcel post to the USA from here has gone up 50% , I sold a pot for £15 and the postage was just over that...and it still sold! More rate rises are in the pipeline apparently for Europe, which is already 50% more than UK internal posting.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 20 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We find for some things that carriage is more than the item itself. We are still trying to work our something satisfactory for besoms. Because they are up to 2m long, they don't fit most carriers ideas, but you can pick them up in one hand. I have a new carrier to try some time, but the one I was using is now about £30 for a £20 broom. Would you prefer to see an up front price that is high with free or minimal postage or the true price and find out the carriage cost is high when you go through the ordering process?

Charcoal is a bit more reasonable, but the price of that has gone up too. Small things, for which we don't sadly get much call, are a lot easier and cheaper as most will go ordinary post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive